Contact time in force measurements

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 61
Catalina posted on Fri, Dec 17 2010 4:07 PM

Hi all!

I am working on force spectroscopy in a Multimode AFM, Nanoscope IIIa controller with Quadrex.  Besides the loading rate, I saw that one important parameter to vary is the contact time (the time the tip is in contact with the sample to interact).  Does anyone knows how can I vary the contact time in our AFM while keeping the loading rate constant? I thought that varying the trigger, but this varies contact times on the order of nsec (while in literature they can vary from few ms to 10 sec)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Catalina.

Catalina von Bilderling

Centro de Microscopías Avanzadas

Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales-UBA

Pabellón I- Ciudad Universitaria

C1428EHA Buenos Aires

Argentina

Tel.: 54 11 4576 3390 ext. 807

FAX: 54 11 4576 3426

E-mail: catalina@df.uba.ar

• | Post Points: 16

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee
Answered (Verified) John Thornton replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 3:44 PM
Verified by Catalina

Hi Catalina,

The parameter that you are looking for is called "Ramp Delay" in version 5.30.  You do not need to upgrade software to access this parameter.  When you are in the force menu, it is in the "Scan Mode" panel.  If you do not see this panel, go to the Panels pull down menu and choose "Mode".  It should be near the bottom.  If you still do not see it, click the box at the top right of the Scan Mode panel and choose "Show all items".  Place and X in the box next to the paramter, then choose Show all items again. 

If you continue to have problems, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

• | Post Points: 17

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341
Guillaume A. replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 9:12 AM

Hi Catalina,

I have to change the "surface delay" in Nanoscope, but, as far as I can remember me, it appears only in the last version of Nanoscope software version (I think 5.31). Which version have you ?

• | Post Points: 16
Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 61
Catalina replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 11:40 AM

Guillaume, thanks for your reply! I have the 5.30.r3sr3 Nanoscope version, that doesn't have the surface delay option.  

so I will need to upgrade  to Nanoscope  5.31 version.

Dos somebody of the Company can provide me an address for technical support in Argentina? How can I get a newer version of software?

Thanks for your advice,

Catalina.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Catalina,

You can get SW updates by emailing AFMSupport@bruker-nano.com with your system configuration.

I already forwarded a copy of your request to them, and please follow up with your configuration.

Best,

Steve

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee
Answered (Verified) John Thornton replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 3:44 PM
Verified by Catalina

Hi Catalina,

The parameter that you are looking for is called "Ramp Delay" in version 5.30.  You do not need to upgrade software to access this parameter.  When you are in the force menu, it is in the "Scan Mode" panel.  If you do not see this panel, go to the Panels pull down menu and choose "Mode".  It should be near the bottom.  If you still do not see it, click the box at the top right of the Scan Mode panel and choose "Show all items".  Place and X in the box next to the paramter, then choose Show all items again. 

If you continue to have problems, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

• | Post Points: 17
Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 99
Suggested by Mark Hilton

Hi Catalina,

It looks like John Thornton has given you the direction required for ramp delay in your current version.  If you decide to upgrade to a later version as Steve suggested, let me know and I'll provide a link that you can use to acquire the software.

Best,

Mark Hilton

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 61
Catalina replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 11:29 AM

Hi John,

thank you very much for your reply! I found the option in my AFM,  but not in Force Volume mode. So I have another question, that is, if I set the ramp delay in the Advance force mode, would it keep the option when I turn to Force Volume mode?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Catalina.

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 61
Catalina replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 11:40 AM

Thank you Mark!

We would like to upgrade the software anyway, so please provide me the link  and instructions!

Best regards,

Catalina. 

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 99

Hi Catalina,

I'll send a link to you in a separate email.

Best,

Mark

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Catalina,

Yes - If you set the Ramp Delay in the Advanced force curve menu, it will still be active in Force Volume mode although that parameter is not shown in that menu.  You can verify this by running Force Volume with and without a Ramp Delay, and you will see the time difference.

I hope this helps.   Please let me know if you have further questions about this.

Thanks,
John

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments