understanding F v D curves for scratches using nanoscope analysis software

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 12
Chris Parks posted on Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:30 PM

Hi,

I started using our nanoindenter on our DI AFM recently and instead of using the on board analysis software on our DI system I started using the nanoscope analysis software.

1.  the software seems to be more versatile as it looks like one can convert the FvD curves to units of Force vs Volts _ I couldnt figure out how to do it on the DI software

2.  Is the blue line the point of contact with the tip to the sample?  its half way up the curve.  for some reason the nanoscope package doesnt really do anything when you select the active curve to be approach or retract.

My objective is to apply a specific series of known forces to a sample and characterize how deep the scratches are.  This FvD curve is very new to me and seems like when I look at data from a variety  of source it is presented in multiple formats so it gets somewhat confusing.

Thanks

chris

screen dump of the data- had some other problems loading the raw file- seems like you need to add the extension .1234 to any raw AFM data to the web server

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
17 Posts
Points 143

Hi Chris,

You should most certainly be able to open and analyze force curves with NanoScope Analysis.  From the screenshot, it appears that there is something strange with this data file...  Typically, the blue curve is the approach, and the red curve is the retract.  So the blue curve should show the point of initial contact, but the blue curve on the image you attached does not look like it is correct...

Would you please email the original data file to me at Adam.Mednick@bruker-nano.com?  I will look at it here and see what can be done.  It would be helpful if you could tell me about the version of software that the image was captured with as well.  In general, it should be pretty easy to do what you want, which is to make indents in a sample surface with a variety of forces.  We will be glad to help you do this.

Best Regards,

Adam

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments