Reducing imaging forces

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
21 Posts
Points 244
Zhuoyang posted on Sun, May 22 2011 1:42 AM

Hi,

I want to reduce the imaging forces to about 50-100pN. How could I realise this in both contact and tapping mode?

In contact mode, is it appropriate to adjust the setpoint until certain value that the forces are in the ranges above?

In tapping mode, how could I adjust the drive amplitude to ~1nm, by reducing targeting tapping amplitude or setpoint? When I reduce the targeting tapping amplitude, I found that the engage is difficult. So I reduce the setpoint to about 0.2V (cannot reduce further). I have taken a force curve while in tapping mode and now I know the slope is about 50. Therefore, the amplitude is 0.2V/50=4 nm. Is the operation correct? Can it reduce the forces in tapping mode?

Thanks a lot.

Zhuoyang

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, May 24 2011 11:20 AM
Verified by Zhuoyang

Hi Zhuoyang,

In contact mode it is indeed as you say. Once in feedback one can reduce the imaging force until the cantilever alsmost pulls off the surface. For practical reasons you probably want to reduce uintil the cantilever pulls off and then go back into contact and stay with a setpoint a bit above the pull off point. Operating here might not be so easy as the cantilever can indeed loose contact with the surface. This is why you may want to scan slower than you are used to. Another well known method is to actually image in fluids as this will reduce the adhesion force and thus the total force on your tip/sample.

The forces in tapping mode are basically how much energy you are disspipating meaning a function of drive amplitude and setpoint (Bruker application note #133 has a very rough estimate about that in the appendix). Even though very amplitude tapping mode indeed offers low interaction force on the vast majority of samples one probably has to increase the drive, and thus the forces, again due to strong adhesive forces. A good start for you might be to use and 'input gain" on your tapping control of "20" and a target amplitude of no more than 3V and start from there. Does your controller have an 'IO-MOD+" board or the "IO-L" board?

Best,

Stefan

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, May 24 2011 11:20 AM
Verified by Zhuoyang

Hi Zhuoyang,

In contact mode it is indeed as you say. Once in feedback one can reduce the imaging force until the cantilever alsmost pulls off the surface. For practical reasons you probably want to reduce uintil the cantilever pulls off and then go back into contact and stay with a setpoint a bit above the pull off point. Operating here might not be so easy as the cantilever can indeed loose contact with the surface. This is why you may want to scan slower than you are used to. Another well known method is to actually image in fluids as this will reduce the adhesion force and thus the total force on your tip/sample.

The forces in tapping mode are basically how much energy you are disspipating meaning a function of drive amplitude and setpoint (Bruker application note #133 has a very rough estimate about that in the appendix). Even though very amplitude tapping mode indeed offers low interaction force on the vast majority of samples one probably has to increase the drive, and thus the forces, again due to strong adhesive forces. A good start for you might be to use and 'input gain" on your tapping control of "20" and a target amplitude of no more than 3V and start from there. Does your controller have an 'IO-MOD+" board or the "IO-L" board?

Best,

Stefan

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 13
Top 50 Contributor
21 Posts
Points 244

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your answer. Our Nanodrive controller has an "IO-MOD+" board.

Zhuoyang

replied on Wed, May 25 2011 10:52 AM

For the IOMOD-+ when using an TESPA or OTESPA tip I suggest using an input gain of 20 and a target amplitude of around 3V.

Stefan

Top 50 Contributor
21 Posts
Points 244

Hi Stefan,

I couldn't find the application note #133 in the Bruker Media-Application notes. Could you please send me one copy? My email address is luzhuoyang@gmail.com. Thank you very much!

Zhuoyang

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments