The Nanoscale World

Need for solution (SPM, Veeco, Nanoscope-IIIa)

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56
Vivek Jadhav posted on Wed, Mar 23 2011 7:49 AM

Dear Friends,

Am new to forums and i need ur help to solve the issue with our AFM.

Well here i go, I was taking AGM images using the VEECO NanoscopeIIIa. While the probe was scanning there was power failure and the system was down. When the power is back, I switched on the controller and tried to open the software and it gave me error and asked me to save the generated error, so did I. But now am not able to run the software, it give me some error and it appeared as "Cannot open this data content; Error: Error reading stageI.par". The software tries to open the log file and it fails.

So can anyone plz help me sort out this issue, plz let me know wht is to be done.

Regards

Vivek

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:57 AM
Verified by Vivek Jadhav

Hi Vivek,

It really sounds you should contact Bruker technical service to help you with troubleshooting your system and suggesting ways to bring it back into full operation. Aga, if you let me know where you are located I can initiate the contact for you.

Thanks, Stefan

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 3:35 PM

Hi Vivek,

I suggest that you contact your local Bruker service center with that issue. If you need help locating the service center, please send me an email at stefan.kaemmer at bruker-nano.com

Stefan

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56
Suggested by Mark Hilton

Dear Stefan,

Thanks for the suggestion, will surely contact.

Mean while going through the exact cause of the problem, some how i managed to fix it, though it took 5-6hrs but not the software is working fine.

If its possible to answer my another question will be of gr8 help.

Q.) Whenever i align the laser via cantilever onto the detector, i see the red spot (replica of laser spot) onto the computer screen. I bring the spot exactly in the middle of the QPD so that i get maximum sum. But many times it happens that the laser spot on the screen (replica) just disappears and the sum is zero, and because of this am not able to engage the tip and get the image. To resolve i've to close the software and switch off the nanoscope controller, wait for 20-30sec and switch on controller and run software, now i can see the red spot with maximum sum. This happens most of the times, some times in between the scan the sum becomes zero and the tip stop functioning. Hope u got wht problem I am facing, Looking forward for your reply.

Regards

Vivek

Answered (Verified) replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:57 AM
Verified by Vivek Jadhav

Hi Vivek,

It really sounds you should contact Bruker technical service to help you with troubleshooting your system and suggesting ways to bring it back into full operation. Aga, if you let me know where you are located I can initiate the contact for you.

Thanks, Stefan

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

Dear Stefan,

I have mailed you on your mailed.

Regards, Vivek

• | Post Points: 10
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

Dear Stefan,

I have sent you the mail which includes my location.

Regards, Vivek

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 99

Hi Vivek,

You need to rule out any type of probe alignment issues.  Please verify that the probe is snug in the cantilever holder and that you don't have any bending due to heating.  You can try loading a stiff, non-coated silicon lever and verify that it does or doesn't drift.  If this is a Multimode, make sure the clamp in the optical head is securely clamped down. 

If it looks like it is not a probe issue, verify that the laser is not getting 'fuzzy' when the sum signal drops.  You can do this by viewing the laser, unobstructed by the probe, against a piece of paper.  If the shape or contrast varies, you might be dealing with a laser or electronics issue.

Let me know what you find.

Best,

Mark

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

Dear Mark,

I tried both the solution provided by u.

1.)  The probe is properly clamped in the cantilever holder and made it sure that there is no heating nor bending. (Will try again with stiff, non-coated silicon lever, though it is difficult get it immediately). The AFM that we are using is multimode and I always make it a point that it is clamped properly. So i think till this point its not the tip issue, coz the laser stop (sum=zero) goes all of a sudden in between the scan also and the tip scanning is stopped.

2.) The time when the sum signal drops, I have checked the laser beam which reflects from the tip onto the detector using a piece of paper (as its a regular alignment practice), but the laser is in perfect shape, also i can see the reflection on the window provided. Also, when i switch-off and switch-on the controller and the DI software i can see the sum signal. so, every time the signal drops i need to restart the DI software and the nanoscope controller.

I would also like to mention that sometimes there is huge noise from the AFM head assembly, but i think that is coz of large integral and proportional gain and it dont affect the sum. But, the sum is playing intermittent  role while scanning or at the beginning of the day it self.

If u can provide me with ur mail id i can send u the photographs of the system.

Regards, Vivek

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments