The Nanoscale World

Problems with Step measure on an Innova SPM

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 14
Monique Bandeira posted on Sun, Apr 3 2011 7:45 PM

My name is Monique and I work as a master student at the Department of Eletrical Engineering at University of Brasilia, in Brazil.

I'm experiencing some problems with my topographic measures when I need to measure a step on the sample.

I made polymer samples and Au samples and all of them show the same "problem" in contact or tapping mode.

For example: I made an Au film (using a sputtering) and then scratched it. On the board I got the following step/figure. I was expecting almost flat-step-almost flat measure, but even when I use AC only, Line Fit, Bow Rem, I still get this inclined line. It happens with the whole image. With polymers I got almost the same thing but sometimes instead of the line on both sides of the step is a curve like an exponential.  

Can anyone help me understand this situation?

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 319

Hi Monique, for images with "steps" i.e. terraced samples, the best results are often obtained with plane fitting to ONE of the terraces. This is actually discussed in chapter 5 of my book "Atomic Force Microscopy" by Eaton and West. The chapter may help you a lot with image processing. If you show us the image s before and after processing we will probably be able to tell you just how to do it.

Pete.

• | Post Points: 10
replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:15 PM

Hi Monique,

Please send me the original datafile: stefan.kaemmer at bruker-nano.com

I will have a look and see what I can do.

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments