The Nanoscale World

Single Particle Tracking

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

posted on Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:35 AM

Single Particle Tracking can be used to track proteins (or different molecules) in a fluid membrane to measure their diffusion coefficient. But as the particle has an intrinsic mass, the measured value is articifical and the real value significantly underestimated.

I would like to know if any of view has some abaques/tables on this. Usually the particles are made of the same material but I would like to be able to put some metrics on this, like:

for a 20 nm particle, the diffusion coefficient will be decreased by factor 2, 3... or something.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 178

Hi Alex,

sorry I don't have answer on your question.

Could you tell how did you implement (which technique) single particle tracking and on which instrument?

Thanks,

Dejan

• | Post Points: 10
replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 10:54 AM

Hi Dejan,

Sorry for the misunderstanding: I never used that technique so far so I have no idea what is required in terms of setup; I was just curious how the values mentioned in the literature are relevant;

Thanks anyway,

Alex.

Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 178

Ok Alex.

Could you tell me in which literature did you find these values?

Best,

Dejan

replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 3:13 AM

Not really; this was a while ago during my PhD. I was working on FRAP at that time and was interested in how you can measure the diffusion coefficient of proteins, and remember quite a number of publications where people used SPT. But I still believe that this speed of diffusion is strongly affected by the mass of the particle. Sorry not to be able to provide you better information.

Alex.

Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 178

Alex,

thank you anyway!

Best,

Dejan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments