Nanoscope IV controler problem

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 26
Nikos posted on Tue, May 31 2011 6:18 AM

Hi,

I am using Nanoscope IV for quantitative FFM measurements. Recently, when I start up the Nanoscope software (Nanoscope 5.31) it gives me an error. Right after the step of 'setting up hardware control objects' it says 'Download Failed', for attempts 1 and 2,  and then 'please check controller'.  I cannot even engage the probe to the sample afterwards. I noticed that if I move the plug at the back of the controller from the analog input 1 to any of the other three analogs and restart the software it does not give any errors and the microscope performs fine. However, in the last two days it keeps giving the above error and the microscope appears useless, though all the connections seem to be well put in place. Do you know how I could fix that?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
20 Posts
Points 220
Verified by fritzkrainer

Hi Nikos,

one common cause of this error message is if the small D connector that goes from one of the com ports at the back of the control computer to the "fast scan" port on the NSIV is not connected. Try checking the connector at both ends and restarting everything.

Also check that the com port that you are using to connect to the "fast scan" cable is configured correctly - if you go start up the microscope software and click on the "di" icon at the top left of the screen and go into the "microscope select" menu, then click "edit" with the configuration you are using highlighted (it should be "quadrexed multimode" or something similar). Check that the hardware listed is consistent with what you have (i.e. microscope: multimode, controller nanoscope 4). If you press the "serial" button you should see a list of com ports and what signals they are assigned to. Make sure that the one that is connected to fast scan is configued as "fast scan".

Also, what is connected to the analog input? Are you collecting another data channel besides height, friction trace and friction retrace?

Hope that is of some help.

Nic

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
20 Posts
Points 220
Verified by fritzkrainer

Hi Nikos,

one common cause of this error message is if the small D connector that goes from one of the com ports at the back of the control computer to the "fast scan" port on the NSIV is not connected. Try checking the connector at both ends and restarting everything.

Also check that the com port that you are using to connect to the "fast scan" cable is configured correctly - if you go start up the microscope software and click on the "di" icon at the top left of the screen and go into the "microscope select" menu, then click "edit" with the configuration you are using highlighted (it should be "quadrexed multimode" or something similar). Check that the hardware listed is consistent with what you have (i.e. microscope: multimode, controller nanoscope 4). If you press the "serial" button you should see a list of com ports and what signals they are assigned to. Make sure that the one that is connected to fast scan is configued as "fast scan".

Also, what is connected to the analog input? Are you collecting another data channel besides height, friction trace and friction retrace?

Hope that is of some help.

Nic

• | Post Points: 13
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 12
Answered (Not Verified) Bill replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:52 PM
Suggested by Bill

Hi Nic,

I met the same problem. When I used the recovery CD I got from the company to restore the hard drive, I found the configuration in the "microscope select" is not for my AFM. So I changed it to what I have, but after that, it is always saying that "fail to fastscan, please check serial port". how should I do.

Also after recovery I found that the profile we usually used is gone ( like tapping in buffer, tapping in Air). How can I find it. Do I need to do calibration?

Thanks

Bill

• | Post Points: 12
Top 50 Contributor
20 Posts
Points 220

Hi Bill,

In the cases I've seen, if all the cables are connected correctly and the serial port configuration is correct but a fast scan error message is still coming up, it is usually a controller problem.

I'm unable to advise you on what happens after you use the recovery disc as I've never attempted this.

My best advice is to give you local Bruker office a call and see what they suggest.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, best of luck resolving the problem.

Best wishes,

Nic

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments