What's the connection?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 45
Bruker Employee
Jason Osborne posted on Mon, Dec 28 2009 1:14 PM

Over the Christmas weekend I was able to watch the new James Cameron movie "Avatar."  While this post isn't a movie review, I will say the plot is thin (Southpark aptly nailed it as "Dances with Smurfs" in a recent episode) and the visuals are stunning. 

The 3D effects even worked pretty well though I still ended up with a slight headache in the end.

Point being:  I've gotten into the habit of watching credits after a movie is done, not so much out of respect but more that I'm hoping for an "Easter Egg" thrown in at the end.  Here's where it gets interesting...I'm waiting and waiting (lots and lots of people worked on this movie) and way down at the end, in the "Special Thanks to" section of the credits,  just after Dolby 3D, IMAX corporation it says "and Veeco Instruments."

I've spent the past few days Googling like mad about any possible connection to "our" Veeco and there isn't a public one that I've found yet.  So, anyone know how/if we're connected to Avatar and why Marketing hasn't run with this yet?!

Here's a link to a full listing of the credits so you can see for yourself - again all the way near the bottom:

http://blogs.sundaymercury.net/anorak-city/2009/12/avatar-how-many-people-does-it.html

Jason.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 10

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 45
Bruker Employee

Asked and Answered...

Apparently Veeco loaned the movie some non-functional AFMs as props for the laboratory scenes. So that really is "us" listed in the credits.

Seems odd that we'd get listed in the special thanks for that but, I suppose stranger things have happened - cool none the less.

Jason.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments