Caliber: Feedthrough laser signal

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 157
Harman posted on Tue, Sep 20 2011 2:10 PM

Hello,

We're trying to operate the Bruker/DiCaliber SPM in a controlled environment within a bell-jar. For the connection between the Caliber head and the brick, we've used a SubD-50 feedthrough adapter (mounted on the feedthough plate) in conjuction with a SubD-50 M/F gender-changer wire.

When we wire the Caliber head, the feedthrough, the SubD wire and the brick, all channels such as the illumination light, motorized screw, etc. seem to work fine from the SPMLab interface, however the laser does not light up. If we remove the feedthrough adapter, so as to have only the SubD wire in series between the head and the brick, everything including the laser works okay (of course, the laser works fine if the head is directly connected to the brick too). We've checked the feedthrough adapter for connectivity, and each of the 50 pins have connectivity going from end-to-end.

It would be an immense help if anybody could suggest why the laser (and only the laser) fails to turn on when both the adapter and the wire are in series with the head and the brick. Could this be an issue with the resistance offered by the pins for the laser pinouts, perhaps?

Also, I'd really appreciate if anyone who has the Caliber SubD-50 pinout diagram (indicating roles associated with each pin) could share a copy here; it'll help us troubleshoot the problem better.

Thanks again,

Harman.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 3:57 PM

Hi Harman,

If I remember correctly the laser requires a +5V signal which should be on pin# 41 of the sub 50 connector on the brick. The laser+ enable is on pin# 3. DGND pin#42, AGND pin# 23.

On the controller side of the brick is a 62 pin high density connector. +5V is on pin#33 and the laser+ enable on pin#1.

Good luck,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 17

All Replies

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 3:57 PM

Hi Harman,

If I remember correctly the laser requires a +5V signal which should be on pin# 41 of the sub 50 connector on the brick. The laser+ enable is on pin# 3. DGND pin#42, AGND pin# 23.

On the controller side of the brick is a 62 pin high density connector. +5V is on pin#33 and the laser+ enable on pin#1.

Good luck,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 17
Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 157
Harman replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 8:53 PM

Stefan,

As always, thanks so much! I checked the voltages and that helped me find a small voltage leak in our adapter.. cleaning that fixed the problem altogether. The AFM works fine now.

Thanks again,

Harman.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments