The Nanoscale World

Diamond conductive tips DDESP ageing problem

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 24
Peiman Hosseini posted on Tue, Sep 20 2011 8:30 AM

Hi All, does anyone here have noticed a drastic reduction of the conductivity of these tips after some months? It appears to me that a very thin layer of oxide-like material has covered all my tips. From the IV curve it's clear that there a threshold at which the current is enough to brake the oxide.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
35 Posts
Points 381

Would you be able to examine the tips with SEM or tip calibration gratings?

Could it also be a bad contact of the chip with probe holder?

Cheers,
Dmitry
MIAWiki 

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 24

Hi, thanks for your reply, I've examined a brand new tip with the sem and it looks absolutely normal to me, actually I think that the tip is scratching the surface of my samples although this doesn't explain why the conductivity of the scanned area is being reduced. I want to point out that this is independent of the voltage applied to the tip, even with Vtip=0 there's still less conduction. Maybe I am seeing something different, electrostatic oxidation? Mechanical oxidation? Seems very weird to me.

Top 25 Contributor
35 Posts
Points 381

Hi Peiman,

please consider the built-in voltage of the probe - sample junction that may affect your electric measurements. That may explain IV curve shift from 0V for example. The modification of the surface (both oxidation in air and roughness increase) at pre-acquisition scanning can be a major problem too. Try to mimimize the cantilever load at imaging and work in tapping or non-contact mode if possible. Take a look at MIAWiki:
http://confocal-manawatu.pbworks.com/w/page/46002654/Electrical%20Measurements%20Reproducibility%20AFM
and principles of careful imaging with AFM
http://confocal-manawatu.pbworks.com/w/page/44485642/Imaging%20Unknown%20Sample%20with%20AFM

Please be more specific re experimental conditions, etc. if that did not help. Try to simplify the experiment and measure a sample with known work function.

Cheers,
Dmitry
MIAWiki 

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments