The Nanoscale World

Is there any fast way export multiple curves out of the point and shoot .mca files into Igor or Origin?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 120
Jonathan posted on Tue, Aug 16 2011 6:58 AM

Dear Community,

I am working with Nanoscope 6.13R1. I have modified the Multimode to work with a Femto amplifier  and use the point and shoot mode to capture I-V curves in a contact conducting AFM Mode. Now I have multiple I-V curves which need to be analysed, the on board functions are not useful to handle this data, thats why I need a fast method/way to export that data into Igor or Origin. I tried the Nanoscope Analysis software, which can open the files but does not read the correct voltage values. Export there is also quite slow. Does anyone have a routine for that or do I have to programm one myself?

Regards

Jonathan

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Verified by Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks for sending the files and this is indeed a bug. The work-around is to export from the NanoScope realtime (checked 8.15) and not NanoScope Analysis. We will fix this in the next release (1.4r1sr2), and I should be able to send you a Beta next week.

Steve

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Jonathan,

We should be launching v1.40 of NanoScope Analysis today. Please give this version a try to see if it corrects your scaling problem. If not, could you send a copy of your file to me? (steve.minne (at) bruker-nano.com). We would like to investigate this further.

I don’t have a routine for this, but if you program one, please post or send to me.

There is a good description of the file structure in appendix sections A3, A5, A7 of the Nanoscope 8.10 manual. Also look at these threads for additional information from our expert Bede.

http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/538/1065.aspx#1065
http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/372/570.aspx#570

There is also a good HSDC routine for Igor posted by Ben, this is a bit different from what you need but perhaps a good place to start.

http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/media/p/569.aspx

Give this a try and let us know if you have a problem.

Steve

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 120

Steve,

I tried to use v1.40 but it still scales wrong. I can send you a zipped folder with the files in it. I have started to examine the binary file format for force curves - and figured out an int16 type of numbers that represent the curves, but the scaling is (naturally as I still do not read out the header) wrong. I wrote a python routine to get the binary data out. Interestingly the data is put at the end of the file and the rest is null. I will let you know when I have finished my programm. I am thinking about an Igor text file as output format, which would use the scaling information directly in the data file to create the correct waves. But this will take a day or two.

Thanks for the links.

Regards

Jonathan

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Yes, please send the zip file. We would like to get to the bottom of this.

Steve

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Verified by Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks for sending the files and this is indeed a bug. The work-around is to export from the NanoScope realtime (checked 8.15) and not NanoScope Analysis. We will fix this in the next release (1.4r1sr2), and I should be able to send you a Beta next week.

Steve

• | Post Points: 13
Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 10:16 PM

Hi, Steve,

One recently posted question asked where to find peak force setpoint in offline analysis, somehow the post was archived to off-topic, I tried in nanoscope analysis but also can't find imaging setpoint (only engage setpoint is listed), could you please help to answer this? Thanks! The original post is here: http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/t/813.aspx

LA

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Jonathan: I sent you a note offline on where to download the Beta with this bug fixed.

Ang: Its a little confusing because of some legacy naming in our SW, but its called Soft HarmoniX setpoint. See image:

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 120

Steve,

many thanks for seeing into it. I have nearly finished my software but due to some bugfixing it will take to the end of the week. It is a command line tool that converts my I-V curves to Igor text files. As soon it is working properly I can send it to you - might be helpful for others.

Regards

Jonathan

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 22

Jonathan (or Steve),

have you the routine file to export .mca file to origin (or igor) ?

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 120
Jonathan replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 10:15 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Dear Julien,

Yes I have a routine to export Igor text files, which is working most of the time for my files. I can send you the script file, but you would need to adjust it to your needs. There is one strange thing about my routine, that it sometimes just does not work correctly, and I still haven’t found the reason for that. But for my needs it worked, as I could easily edit/survey most of my files in a fast and convenient way.

I will make a commented version tomorrow and send it to you if you like.

Greetings

Jonathan

PS.: For single files I used the export function of the Nanoscope Analysis Software. It was more convenient because of my untraceable bug. This bug is also the reason why I did not publish the script.

• | Post Points: 14
Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 22

Thank you !

If you made commented version, i would like to have it please. I will ajust it to my needs.

Regards,

--

Julien

Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 66
herveW replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:32 AM

Hi Jonathan, I'm currently analyzing point and shot datas and it's really difficult with Bruker software. Is is possible to send me your script for loading mca file with Igor.

thanks in advance

sincerely

Hervé

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 120

Dear Hervé,

I can send you the same commented file I have sent to Julien.

But you have to adjust the programm to your problem.

I need an e-mail adress to send it to.

Regards

Jonathan

Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 66
herveW replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:44 AM

how to send you offline my email ?

regards

Hervé

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 120
Jonathan replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:52 AM

I have send you a friend invitation, we can start a conversation as soon we are friends. There we can exchange e-mail addresses.

Cheers

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments