Caliber in vacuum?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 157
Harman posted on Mon, Sep 26 2011 12:10 PM

Hello,

I have sort of a follow up question to my previous post about setting up the Caliber inside a belljar:

Would a vacuum of ~ 0.5 bar or less have any undesired/detrimental effects on either the instrument (we have just the Caliber head inside the bell jar, the brick is out in lab air) or indeed the measurements? We're planning on making measurements in low vacuum and in inert environment (dry N2).

Thanks,

Harman.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

replied on Wed, Sep 28 2011 1:44 PM

Hi Harman,

A very might vaccum might no damage any components. I am not sure about the range when plasma discharge happens as this would impact the electrical safety of the system! I 'll try to look it up and post it later.

Dry N2 will not be an issue. Just make sure to ground samples properly. What are you trying to study?

Stefan

Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 157
Harman replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:19 PM

Stefan, we're trying to make lateral force measurements on environmentally-sensitive coatings. The vacuum we need (as of now at least) is only to hold the bell-jar hermetically over our baseplate since we'll be pumping in nitrogen to make the interior inert. This is why I anticipate our vacuum to be no higher than 0.5 bar.

I'll look forward to your post regarding the plasma discharge..

Thanks,

Harman.

• | Post Points: 14
replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 3:37 PM

Hi Harman,

Haven't been able to locate a table with regards to the plasma discharge. If I recall it correctly 1/2 atm should not be an issue but it is worthwhile to check from a safety standpoint.

Stefan

Top 25 Contributor
35 Posts
Points 381

Hi Harman,

It looks like your experiment will rely on the humidity of the nitrogen from a “can” or a line. The excessive pressure setup however will allow blowing the nitrogen away through the slits and the pores of your environmental chamber compared to the vacuum allowing the air from the room leaking into. The environmental chamber for excessive pressure is easier to build of any kind of transparent plastic. My NanoScope III was working without any problems at the lowest detectable humidity of 5% or lower.

Cheers,
Dmitry
MIAWiki

Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 157

Thanks Stefan!

• | Post Points: 10
Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 157

Dmitry, thanks for the reply! You're correct in you assessment that a pressurized chamber would be easier to equilibrate; we actually have the same setup on one of our other instruments in the lab.

Unfortunately, a few design constraints led us to try out a vac chamber design instead.

Thanks again,

Harman.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments