The Nanoscale World

adhesion force measurement using AFM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 38
Husam posted on Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:04 PM

I am looking for different chemical composition bead to study the effect of particle chemistry on adhesion, I need Si,Ca,Mg,Al,Fe  or their compounds

another thing , I am try to find different shape bead ( i need irregular shape) is there some things like available.

Also , any one try to attach small beads i.e less than 1um with AFM cantilever , and How??

in this regards , I wanna study the effect of humidity and temp on adhesion , any idea about the chamber or control system for that without affect the adhesion measurement

I am looking forward to hear from you

Thanks

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Husam, 

The easiest way forward for your different chemical composition and shape beads is to look to a company like NovaScan, they do many different standard particle attachments to a variety of cantilevers. They can also do custom orders.

Attaching > 5um beads to cantilevers is fairly straightforward and typically follows the basic procedure: put adhesive and dispersion of particles on a substrate, do force curve with tipless cantilever on adhesive, do force curve on particle. This is easiest on a micromanipulator (I used to use a Singer Instruments MSM400 which is ideally suited to the task). It is also possible with any given AFM though this is usually not as tactile and requires more adherence to a protocol.

Attaching ~1um beads to cantilevers  is tricky due to their small size but not impossible. A colleague of mine did this using our BioScope Catalyst AFM using 60X and 100X objectives on a ILM. This allows you to visualise the particles while following the generic attachment procedure I mentioned above.

Once you have your colloid probes and you want to study how  temp/ humidity affects adhesion between substrate and particle you will need an enclosed cell with a heated sample plate. We have just such a thing for all our top tier AFMs: heater cooler stage with liquid cell for Icon and MultiMode, and perfusing stage incubator with heating sample plate for Catalyst. Once you set up these liquid cell options you can control the heated sample plate and attach a third party humidity system that mixes dry gas flow with water steam flow in a defined way (RH 5% to 95%), and provides a basic flow rate of humid gas into the liquid cell. 

Feel free to google/ visit our site to lookup the various keywords I mentioned above. If you have further questions on this you can contact me offline at ian.armstrong@bruker-nano.com

Best regards

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 38
Husam replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:13 AM

Hi Ian

Thanks so much for your response.

Regarding the micromanipulator ( Singer Instruments MSM400) , you said , you used to, what do think the minimum bead size can attached using this manipulator.Or this only depends on the optical microscope.

Thanks

Husam

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee
Suggested by Joop de Vries

Hi Husam,

I think it only depends on the optics...as long as you can see a small particle you should be able to locate the bare cantilever underneath it and press them together. If memory serves we had a 40X objective on ours and I could make 2-3um colloid probes with ease.

Best regards

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments