AFM Probe Tip "Seizure" During Y Offset

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 115
N-ElHinnawy posted on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:23 PM

Problem:
During scans, the probe tip will violently shake and displace itself (as seen through the scope) several tens of microns in the +y or -y direction, then continue to scan, then violently shake and displace itself back to its original position.  It only happens when I set a nonzero Y offset, and when it is set back to zero the "seizing" ceases, but my probe has obviously been damaged as I lose lots of lateral resolution.  When I withdraw the tip, my alignment on the photodiode is way off and is no longer centered.

Observations:
-only seems to happen with some tips, although it seems completely random which tip it will "seize" on
-has become increasingly frequent to that point that it happens about 50% of the time with a new tip
-oscillations of around 1nm amplitude have recently begun appearing on quartz substrates that are normally incredibly smooth from CMPing (show up at 45* angle) and become mirrored when scanning in the opposite direction.  I've gone back and imaged quartz that I've imaged before that didn't have these oscillations.  It shows up for these samples, so I'm pretty confident its an artifact

I don't think this is tip related as it has happened with PPP-NCH's, PPP-NCHR's, OMCL-AC160TS's, Veeco TESPs, Veeco NCHV-A's, Nanoworld TESPs, and just today Veeco SCM-PIT's.

I know my description may be confusing, but any help is appreciated.  If I can get a quick export approval I can post a picture of the oscillations, but no promises.

Thanks for any help

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 5:16 PM

Could please you post some more information with regards to which instrument you are using, software version, and imaging mode?

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 115

Oops, sorry about that.

Dimension V (3100V)
NSV Controller
Nanoscope 7.30
Tapping in air

replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 7:18 PM

Hi Nabil,

Does the problem only occur in closed-loop? If yes that would indicated an issue there.

In "tip locate" do you observe the normal spiral pattern or do you just see the tip moving along a line?

In any case, I would suggest contacting Veeco tech support directly to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution.

Stefan

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 115

If anyone there is interested, I captured video from the latest "tip seizing" and sent the video to Mark Hilton.

I'll be attempting his suggestions later today to try and get rid of the problem.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments