The Nanoscale World

Recording vertical and horizontal deflection in force volume

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne posted on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:54 AM

Hello,

Is it possible to record both the vertical AND horizontal deflection in force volume mode? I am using a Bioscope Catalyst with Nanoscope 8.10.

In ramp mode you can obviously choose Channels 1 and 2 accordingly, but in force volume I don't see the option to have multiple channels...?

Best,

Janne

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Janne,

We do not currently support acquisition of more than one channel at a time in Force Volume.  You can trigger on a second data type (i.e. you could collect the first image of vertical deflection with triggering on vertical deflection and then collect a second image of lateral deflection with triggering on vertical deflection).  

A second option would be to use Point and Shoot.  In that case you would be working with ordinary force distance curves collected in an array, so you can collect 3 channels.  The new version of nanoscope analysis allows automated calculation of modulus for all the curves, but it might be a bit of a challenge to relate the data back to the XY position in the frame.

--Bede

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:08 AM

Hi Bede, thanks for the response.

Do you know if I can get the vertical and lateral signal simultaneously out through one of the outputs on the Nanoscope V controller? I need to correlate the lateral and vertical signal within the same curve, to see how much the cantilever flexes laterally while pushing on irregular stiff surfaces.

Point and shoot is an option but as you said it's a bit difficult to get back the XY position and this is crucial to me. I am usually relying on the pseudo-height image in force-volume to see which curve was taken on which part of my irregular samples.

Best,

Janne

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 6:56 AM

Or another thought:

Is there a way to script/program something in the Nanoscope software which would help me get more than one channel during force volume?

Top 10 Contributor
60 Posts
Points 651

Why do you not update to version 8.15, and use the PFQM with recording of "all" the force curves? Depending on the speed you can record 256*256 forcecurves. With the increased  amplitude you can make force curves up to 2um ramp. How to get 8.15 is explained here.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
60 Posts
Points 651

Have to look if you can record more channels in this mode, not sure......

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Janne,

If you like, the vertical ('Deflection Error') and lateral ('Friction') can be sent out through "Output 1" and "Output 2" ports on the front panel of the NSV in contact mode.  The outputs are updated at 100KHz, so they are not good for very fast signals, but they might be enough.

It isn't really that difficult to get the X, Y position of a force curve from the header-- just look for the lines in the header that say "\X Offset: 555 nm" and similar for Y.

Hope that helps!

--Bede

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:49 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them out.

Janne

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments