Correct Zaxis Aspect Ratio in NanoScope Analysis

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817
Polis Tyrol posted on Tue, Jul 16 2013 6:35 AM

Dear community,

I struggle trying to make the Z axis equally sized to the other two axes in the 3D image in Nanoscope Analysis. Depending on the absolute Height differences in the image I need to set "Zaxis Aspect Ratio" to about 0.03 or to 0.14 in order to obtain approximately equally sized axis. According to the NanoScope Analysis help you should need to set it to 1 to get equally sized axes, but this is clearly not the case. If I set the value to 1 the Z axis is streched by about ten times when compared to the other two axes.

I use NanoScope Analysis 1.40 (Build R3Sr4). Is there anywhere a button you can press to make the axes equal?

Thanks a lot, Dietmar

• | Post Points: 10

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Dietmar,

To make the 3d image have the correct scaling, you need to adjust the 'Zaxis Aspect Ratio' to consider both the Scan Size and the Z scale:

1. Right click on the color scale bar, choose 'Color Scale...' and choose the 'Modify Data Scale' tab
  2. Adjust the 'Display' 'Maximum' and 'Minimum' if desired, then make note of the Z display range='Maximum'-'Minimum' 
  3. Enter the (Z display range)/(Scan Size) as the 'Zaxis Aspect Ratio' (in this case 12nm/500nm=0.024)

Now you will see how flat most AFM samples really are!

--Bede

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817

Still an open question ...

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817

Guess nobody knows such a command?

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Dietmar,

To make the 3d image have the correct scaling, you need to adjust the 'Zaxis Aspect Ratio' to consider both the Scan Size and the Z scale:

1. Right click on the color scale bar, choose 'Color Scale...' and choose the 'Modify Data Scale' tab
  2. Adjust the 'Display' 'Maximum' and 'Minimum' if desired, then make note of the Z display range='Maximum'-'Minimum' 
  3. Enter the (Z display range)/(Scan Size) as the 'Zaxis Aspect Ratio' (in this case 12nm/500nm=0.024)

Now you will see how flat most AFM samples really are!

--Bede

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments