The Nanoscale World

Stiffness measurement

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46
Dani posted on Mon, Feb 2 2015 4:51 AM

Hello

Is it possible to perform stiffness measurements of a polymer using standard AFM? I ve got a Multimode veeco with only SCM and CAFM modules. DO I need extra modules?

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
17 Posts
Points 184
Answered (Not Verified) Igor replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 9:10 PM
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

It depends. You can use just force-volume mode ( Macromolecules,  2012, v.45 (10), p. 4277–4288 ) or the additional Peak-Force QNM (Langmuir,  2012, 28 (46), pp 16060–16071).

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

You could also use a ramp array if you don't care much about mapping.  The XY spacing won't be very accurate with the Multimode, but that isn't usually a big problem.  You can use Nanoscope Analysis indentation view to analyze the individual curves (this can be automated if you have a lot of them).

--Bede

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46
Dani replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 4:58 AM

Thank you for your answers. Is the QNM mode an additional software? Does it require special tips? I m also a bit concerned as my polymer has a very low Young's modulus (15-100KPa) and as far as I understood, the QNM measurements have to be carried out in contact mode and not tapping mode. Is this the case? Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
17 Posts
Points 184
Answered (Not Verified) Igor replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 2:37 PM
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

>Is the QNM mode an additional software?

Yes.

>Does it require special tips? I m also a bit concerned as my polymer has a very low Young's modulus (15-100KPa) 

Yes, blind probes, if you want to measure the modulus. 

> and as far as I understood, the QNM measurements have to be carried out in contact mode and not tapping mode.

No, it is not. It is an oscillation but non-resonant  mode. The issue is not just the potential destruction of the sample (it is a sort of trivial and can easily be avoided). The problem is the keeping the stress below the linearity limit. Otherwise, you measure something but not modulus. 

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments