combine SECM with AFM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 5 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Arthur Tseng posted on Thu, Jan 21 2016 9:02 PM

Hello, everyone

I would like to modify our AFM (Veeco, Bioscope ; scanner - hybrid) with NanoScope IVa Controller and Singal Access Module III (SAM) to enable SECM mapping (current mapping).

I saw a paper. They mentioned that data signals from the potentiostat were fed into the Multimode software using a Bruker Signal Access Module. 

But the SAM is so complicated. I don't know which part need to connect with potentiostat.

In SAM, there are three parts - low voltage inputs to nanoscope controller (DATA SIGNALS), low voltage outputs from nanoscope controller (CONTROL SIGNALS) and high voltage outputs from nanoscope controller (PIEZO DRIVE SIGNALS). Which one should connect with potentiostat so I can get the current? (Now I am connect with DATA SIGNALS)

Also, in DATA SIGNALS, they have different sets like IN 0, AUX A-D and Z MOD. I am also not sure which one I should use.

If I connect the signal right, how should I set the software to get signal?

Thank you for your patient and help.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Verified by Teddy Huang

Is there anyone can help me?

Thank you very much.

• | Post Points: 11
Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Arthur,

In order to do EC-AFM, you will need a bipotentiostat and an EC cell which can hold your sample as well as a counter & reference electrode. If you also want to do SECM (i.e. with an electrochemically active tip), you will also need SECM probes & probe holder

For some of our AFM modesl we have a dedictwed bipotentiostat whcih integrates wiht our hardware/software. A syou are using a different bipotentiostat, you will need to conenct it as follows:

- counter & reference electrode: connect directly from potentiostat to your EC cell

- working elctrode: connect directly to your sample

- potentiostat voltage and/or current output: if these isgnals are available as analog signals on a BNS connector: connect them to the AUX input line son the backside of your Nanoscope controller. In the software, you should be able to select these as image channels.

You do not really need the SAM box, unless you want to do more complicated things.

Best regards,

Peter

• | Post Points: 14
Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments.

I still have some questions wanting to figure them out.

Should I must have a bipotentiostat for conducting SECM? because now I have is a normal potentiostat (micro autolab).

I roughly know the biopentiostat is connected to the tip (working electrode) and sample. I think we can set the sample ground by using the software, right?

I already connect the AUX input on the backside of controller. There are four AUX inputs on controller. but why I only see inputs 1.2.3 in software (Data type)?

I connect the Iout (current output) from potentiostat to AUX input, but there is no response.

And I select the chennel using, it show voltage in scale, but the current is fed in.

Sorry! a lot of questions.

Thank you.

Arthr

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. I already try what you have suggested, but still have some questions.

1. I connect the current output signal from potentiostat to analog input 2 on backside of the controller and select the input 2 in software. The image scale always shows "voltage", but what I want is ampere in scale.  How can I change the scale in ampere?

2.I saw some paper. They use double pass to obtain the height in contact mode and the current in lift mode. Can I follow this setting? We usually use lift mode in KPFM measurement.

Thank you very much.

Arthur

• | Post Points: 13
Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Arthur,

#1. A right sensitivity need to be set in the nanoscope software. And the sensitivity needs to match the one from the potentiostat. 

#2. This is a typical interleave mode AFM experiment that you're asking about. 

That how to set the input sensitivity and details software control for using interleave mode depends on the version of the software. For this, can you contact our tech support  (AFM.Support@bruker.com) for detailed procedures? 

Thanks,

Teddy

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Verified by Teddy Huang

Is there anyone can help me?

Thank you very much.

Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Arthur,

In order to do EC-AFM, you will need a bipotentiostat and an EC cell which can hold your sample as well as a counter & reference electrode. If you also want to do SECM (i.e. with an electrochemically active tip), you will also need SECM probes & probe holder

For some of our AFM modesl we have a dedictwed bipotentiostat whcih integrates wiht our hardware/software. A syou are using a different bipotentiostat, you will need to conenct it as follows:

- counter & reference electrode: connect directly from potentiostat to your EC cell

- working elctrode: connect directly to your sample

- potentiostat voltage and/or current output: if these isgnals are available as analog signals on a BNS connector: connect them to the AUX input line son the backside of your Nanoscope controller. In the software, you should be able to select these as image channels.

You do not really need the SAM box, unless you want to do more complicated things.

Best regards,

Peter

• | Post Points: 14
Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments.

I still have some questions wanting to figure them out.

Should I must have a bipotentiostat for conducting SECM? because now I have is a normal potentiostat (micro autolab).

I roughly know the biopentiostat is connected to the tip (working electrode) and sample. I think we can set the sample ground by using the software, right?

I already connect the AUX input on the backside of controller. There are four AUX inputs on controller. but why I only see inputs 1.2.3 in software (Data type)?

I connect the Iout (current output) from potentiostat to AUX input, but there is no response.

And I select the chennel using, it show voltage in scale, but the current is fed in.

Sorry! a lot of questions.

Thank you.

Arthr

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. I already try what you have suggested, but still have some questions.

1. I connect the current output signal from potentiostat to analog input 2 on backside of the controller and select the input 2 in software. The image scale always shows "voltage", but what I want is ampere in scale.  How can I change the scale in ampere?

2.I saw some paper. They use double pass to obtain the height in contact mode and the current in lift mode. Can I follow this setting? We usually use lift mode in KPFM measurement.

Thank you very much.

Arthur

Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660
Verified by Teddy Huang

Hi Arthur,

#1. A right sensitivity need to be set in the nanoscope software. And the sensitivity needs to match the one from the potentiostat. 

#2. This is a typical interleave mode AFM experiment that you're asking about. 

That how to set the input sensitivity and details software control for using interleave mode depends on the version of the software. For this, can you contact our tech support  (AFM.Support@bruker.com) for detailed procedures? 

Thanks,

Teddy

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113

Hi Teddy, 

Thank you for your suggestion.

Arthur

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments