The Nanoscale World

measure yield strength

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
nanoluna_1231 posted on Wed, Jun 3 2015 10:43 AM

Can the AFM measure the yield strength of metal thin film through force curve?How about the break strength?

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Hi nanoluna,

Both of these quantities would be difficult to measure via AFM because of the discontinuity from macroscale to nanoscale, the level of forces involved, and the design of the instruments that do the traditional testing compared to the AFM.

In principle one could envision looking at yield strength - though, this would be via indentation rather than pulling. In that case we could take a metal film sample and indent it at various loads up to about ~250uN. Re imaging the indentation areas could reveal the load at which plastic deformation is reached. Break strength I think is less feasible given the load range we can impart. Our tribology instruments which include a traditional nanoindenter as well as scratch testers etc... are probably better designed for this sort of experiment. You can take a look at them by copying this link into your browser:

https://www.bruker.com/products/surface-analysis/tribology-and-mechanical-testing.html

Best regards

• | Post Points: 12
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34

Hello Mr Ian,

I want to enquire you some questions about AFM. Recently, I measure the modulus of metal thin film which  is suspended through Multimode AFM. The red line(retract line) of the force curve is above the red line even though the force is small. Is this normal or if it isn't normal, why? 

In addition, I use the trigger mode to measure the thin film's mechanical feature.If I use the maximun trigger voltage12V ,is the test result still right? I mean, whether  the AFM probe cantilever's stiff is still linear or whether  the diode detector exceed the measuring  range or some other reason when the trigeer voltage is 12V. Then ,what's the appropriate trigger voltage(the maximum acceptable voltage)?

I will  appreciate it for you reply, thanks.

Regards

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments