Modify force parameters when calculating Young modulus from Force-Volume curve

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Martin G. posted on Tue, Nov 15 2016 7:34 AM

Dear all,

I measured some soft nanoparticles in force-volume mode and now I try to calculate Young's modulus from the force curves. Before actual fitting ("Indentation" procedure), I need to modify Deflection sensitivity ("Modify force parameters") to a value I determined after the measurement. However, I find that it has fatal influence on the shape of the curve. Namely, it bends the curve backwards, which makes no physical sense (my interpretation of the bent curve, if it described reality, would be, that the surface actively bulges out as soon as the tip touches it).

Curve shapes for deflection sensitivity values of 10, 80 and 150 are here. It can be seen that the higher the value, the more bent the curve is. We can assume that the real, measured value of deflection sensitivity is 150.

So, which of the following is/are true?

1) it is not possible to modify deflection sensitivity in this case for reasons I dont understand (which is...?)

2) modifying deflection sensitivity should be theoretically possible, but there is a bug in NanoScope that makes the result invalid.

3) the results I get are actually ok (why?)

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and advice.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660

Martin,

On the nanoscope analysis, in the FV mode, you can type in your deflection sensitivity.

For single force curve analysis, if you captured the force curve from a stiff substrate, you can update the deflection sensitivity. 

Can you check out some training videos here for more details about the software?

https://www.bruker.com/service/education-training/training-courses/afm-optical-training-courses.html

The most timely way would be to call the Bruker Tech Support in your region for help.

Thanks,

Teddy

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments