Lithography using Nanoman

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136
saumil posted on Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:48 AM

Hi all,

I am using the Dimension 3100 AFM, with a Nanoscope IVa controller for nanolithography (anodic oxidation) using Nanoman. I am having a problem controlling the tip using the 'Path' mode in nanoman. If I draw a short line on the scanned image (using the path function), and press 'Do it', the software shows that it is drawing. But after I image that particular area again, the line drawn is:

1) At an angle to the actual intended line, and

2) The oxidation performed just goes on and on along the initial short line. It does not stop where I terminated the line.

I am using contact mode. The feedback is "off" during writing and the "Z distance" used is "2nm". I scanned at different scales (2.5um, 4um and 8um). Does anyone have an idea, as to what might be the problem (probably some settings)? I have attached an image below so that I can explain the situation better. (The red circle has inside it, the intended line on the right and the drawn line on the left). It has lots of lines drawn unsuccessfully, so it looks crowded.

AFM8.tif

Thanks a lot.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136
saumil replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 4:34 AM

Here is another image of oxidation on silicon I did today. This will explain the situation better.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Saumil,

The behavior that you are describing definitely seems odd.  It looks as if the closed loop is either not working, or it is behaving like it is in open loop. 

So, I have a few questions for you:

- I am assuming that you are using a closed loop scanner (Hybrid, or XY closed loop).  Is this correct?

- Is the XY Closed Loop parameter set to "On" in the Scan menu?  Is the cable from the scanner plugged into the preamp box on the top of the Dimension?

- With the Closed Loop set to On, go the the scanner calibration menu (which I think was under Tools > Calibrate > XY in version 6).  What are you X IGain and Y IGain parameters set to?  They should not be near 0, but should be a value between 6 and 15.

- As far as the Path settings in the Nanoman interface, I am less inclined to suspect that these are set incorrectly from what you have described, but I suppose that is possible.  What is your XY velocity?  Does it work properly if you use the Manual tab settings instead of the Path setting?

I look forward to hearing back from you.  You are welcome to contact me offline as well.

Thanks,
John

john.thornton(at)bruker-nano.com

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136
saumil replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 7:44 PM

John,

Thanks a lot for the reply and the comments. Unfortunately, I just found out from the people in the facility that the AFM is not closed loop and it needs a major hardware modification to do that. I had been assuming that it should be a closed loop system in XY, a mistake on my part. This is really sad news for me. Is there something that can be done to make it a little more precise? If not, then I will see what other options I have.

For the other question: I was scanning at a 100nm/s in XY, and used this value with the Innova system, which used to give good results. 

Thanks,

Saumil

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136

Hi John,

I have found a system on my campus that uses a closed loop configuration. The software used is pretty old (Nanoscope v5). I have to write a script in order to run it for lithography. I could locate the litho.h file in the v4 folder but not the gui.h file (perhaps because the system was upgraded from v4 to v5). The system does not have a C++ compiler in it. Can I get the files (library and header files) from somewhere so that I can compile the code on my PC and run the lithography file there? 

Thanks a lot.

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Saumil

I am glad that you found access to a system that you can use.   If it is a closed loop system with version 5 on it, then it probably also has version 6 on it as well, depending on the configuration.  Version 6 is where you would find the Nanoman interface that you were trying to use previously.  Can you tell me what the system model and controller is that you are using?  For instance, is it a Dimension 3100 with a NanoScope IVa or IV controller?  

If you would prefer to do this in the C++ lithography software, then we can dig into this as well.  You are welcome to contact me offline about this as well as we get in to the details at john.thornton@bruker-nano.com

Thanks,
John

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments