The Nanoscale World

New NanoScope Analysis release, now with new force curve analysis tools! (v1.40R2)

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 75
Points 3,652
Ben Ohler Posted: Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:20 PM

I'm happy to announce the latest version of NanoScope Analysis, version 1.40R2.

For anyone not already familiar with it, NanoScope Analysis is a free software package for analyzing data collected using Bruker SPMs.

This latest version includes a number of new features for force curve analysis:

• Modify Force Parameters: Update key parameters in captured ramp files
• Baseline Correction: Remove force curve baseline offset and/or tilt
• Boxcar Filter: Apply moving average smoothing filter to ramp data
• Indentation Analysis: Fit indentation models to force-distance curves to obtain modulus
• Batch Processing: Automate application of multiple functions to many curves at once
• MATLAB toolbox: Routines to read in force curves, force-volume files, high speed data
capture files and image files (currently limited to NanoScope formats)

Download instructions can be found here: How to download NanoScope Analysis v1.40R2

Please download it and try it out. We look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

-Ben

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 60
Points 651

Hello Ben,

I am impressed by the new features in the force curve analysis! I  really like the baseline correction and the indentation analysis. That you can do both things easy on multiple files with one click using the history button is great. For me it would be very handy if in the .txt file with the results also the maximum adhesion force was printed with a average, it's easier to use as finding the peaks by selecting the all the corrected force curves again and use the Curve analysis to find the peaks. 

Also the Modify Force Parameters can be handy.....

Great improvement!

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 75
Points 3,652
Ben Ohler replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 10:27 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the nice feedback. I'm glad you find the new features useful.

The emphasis on this release was on the indentation applications, but we'll want to implement additional features in the future for unfolding/binding and other pulling applications. Any ideas and requests would be quite welcome.

Regards,

-Ben

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Points 34
shanu replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 9:21 AM

Hi Ben,

New update seems exciting however i believe so that it is important to have the option to open multiple files at the same time e.g. to see force curve data which you normally acquire in sets.

I really find it difficult to use as i have to open files one by one and cannot open multiple files at the same time.

Could you please take this into account and i hope that in the next release this will be fixed.

regards

Shanu

• | Post Points: 10
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12
Points 132
Wilson replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 10:21 AM

Ben,

I have a question concerning the new offline nanoscope analysis software. Does this new software work for force distance curves acquired while doing nanoindentation (i.e with diamond probes) or can it also be applied for force distance curves generated using silicon nitride tips typically used for contact mode AFM?

Thank you,

Wilson 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 280
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Wilson,

The software implements two models: DMT for spherical tips and Sneddon for conical tips.  Depending on the depth of the indentation and the precise shape of the tip, one or the other of these models will be more appropriate.  Note that these models only consider elastic deformation.  If your sample has other active deformation mechanisms (plastic creep, viscoelasticity), they may not be appropriate. 

Prior to making conclusions with the models, you should take some time to read the literature that describes them.  Here is a review that might be a good place to start:

Lin, David C, and Ferenc Horkay. 2008. “Nanomechanics of polymer gels and biological tissues: A critical review of analytical approaches in the Hertzian regime and beyond.” Soft Matter 4 (4): 669. doi:10.1039/b714637j. http://xlink.rsc.org/?DOI=b714637j.

--Bede

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Points 34
Marko replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:19 PM

Hi Ben,

There is something strange about the spectrum 2D filter of V1.40R2. If one filters an image that contains regular noise lines the FFT frequency spots seem to be in the wrong orientation with regard to the original image. Also the x-scale of the FFT is still in real space.

The old software version Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 5.12r3 gives the correct orientation and units.

Can you comment on this?

Cheers - Mark

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments