image processing

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts
Points 205
JFP posted on Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:12 AM

Hallo,

I tried imaging a flat punch with multimode afm in contact and tapping mode. In principle it worked but I think there is a scanning artifact that I don't get rid of. Imaging with a scan angle of 0° and 90° respectively leads to inconsistent data. In both images there is a bow in the slow scan direction. In the fast scan direction there is no bow but perfectly flat.

Please could you help me getting rid of this scanning artifact.

Thanks a lot and best regards

Jonas

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 11:10 AM

Hi Jonas,

It sounds like what you are seeing is an effect of thermal drift. Thermal drift is slow compared to the tinme it takes for a single line hence you do not see it there. When looking in the slow scan direction, however, you propably see a bow or sometimes even slow "waves".

I do not know the temperature stability of your environement but suggest measuring that and trying to keep that constant if it isn't.

Stefan

Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts
Points 205
JFP replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 11:22 AM

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your help. I don't think it's thermal drift, because it's not monotone and all images look alike. For example see the attached crosssections. Every image shows exactly this behavior but when it's because of thermal drift they should not, or?

Best regards

Jonas

Scan angle 0° (red: slow, blue fast scan direction):

Scan angle 90° (red: slow, blue fast scan direction):

• | Post Points: 10
Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts
Points 205
JFP replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 11:23 AM

Top 10 Contributor
60 Posts
Points 651

If you increase the setpoint with 1V in contact mode, is it still the same? For me it looks like bad tracking.....

If it is not bad tracking, check with a known sample (callibration grid) if the z sensor is still ok.

Joop 

Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts
Points 205
JFP replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:57 AM

Hi Joop,

thanks for your help.

I checked if there is the same behavior on a calibration grid, but there is no bow in slow scan direction.

Wouldn't one expect bad tracking rather in the fast scan direction than in the slow?

best regards

Jonas

Top 10 Contributor
60 Posts
Points 651

Oh...... probably I misunderstood what you wrote. So the pictures you show is not one scanline but is perpendicular on the scanlines....... Thats strange, no more idea's Sad

If you increase or decrease the scanarea you still have the same shape? 

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments