Atomic resolution image of Si

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 86
basav1231 posted on Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:07 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to get atomic resolution image for Si surface (both without doping and heavily doped) by normal STM (not low current STM) in Multimode 8? Any such reports?

Thanks

Basu

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:51 AM
Verified by basav1231

Hi Basu,

I am not sure if your prime interest is looking at silicon in air or if you are simply looking for subjects to demostrate true atomic resolution on. You may want to check out the recent posts by Steve anchored on the top which show remarkable data on various substrated. One of the images can be found here: http://goo.gl/wvVFi 

Best

Stefan

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

I'm not aware of one, but I did a quick search in Google Scholar and came up with the following. 

I do not have a copy, so let me know if it is useful or interesting.

--Bede

Nakagawa, Y. “Scanning Tunneling Microscopy of Silicon Surfaces in Air: Observation of Atomic Images.” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films 8, no. 1 (January 1990): 262.

Atomic images were successfully observed on hydrogen terminated Si (100) and (111) surfaces in air by scanning tunneling microscopy. The surfaces were prepared by ultraviolet irradiation in an oxygen atmosphere followed by dipping in 1% hydrofluoric acid. For the (100) surface, the atomic images exhibit various structures such as rows along the [010] and [001] directions, an apparent (1/(2)1/2×1/(2)1/2)R45° ‘‘sublattice,’’ and a c(2×1) superlattice in addition to the square lattice corresponding to the Si(100)‐(1×1) structure. For the (111) surface, a triangular lattice pattern which agrees with the Si(111)‐(1×1) structure was observed. Such atomic images appeared in restricted areas. It is possible that slight oxidation or some adsorption enables or prevents the observation of atomic images.

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 86

Thanks for your reply. I also don't have access to this journal. Anyway mainly i want to know whether atomic resolution of Si is possible with Multimode or not?

Thanks again

Basu

replied on Mon, May 14 2012 3:27 PM

Basu,

Atomic resolution on silicon is difficult, mainly because the sample is difficult to keep clean when compared to UHV. From a resolution standpoint the MultiMode is for sure capable of true atomic resolution as demonstrated by Mugele using AFM in fluids or numerous electrochemical publications showing e.g. Cu UPD on Au where one can resolve the Au and Cu UPD structure. Resolving Au(111) in air should also be possible after proper annealing of the sample.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Answered (Verified) replied on Thu, May 17 2012 11:51 AM
Verified by basav1231

Hi Basu,

I am not sure if your prime interest is looking at silicon in air or if you are simply looking for subjects to demostrate true atomic resolution on. You may want to check out the recent posts by Steve anchored on the top which show remarkable data on various substrated. One of the images can be found here: http://goo.gl/wvVFi 

Best

Stefan

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 86

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply.

Basu

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments