Innova- Scanning thermal microscopy SThM steps

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 22
Evangelia Sarantopoulou posted on Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:31 AM

Dear all,

We are working with the Innova atomic force microscope and currently we are trying to setup the scanning thermal microscopy in conductivity contrast mode.

I would very much appreciate your advice on the following steps:

1.      Setting the lead resistance:   Which is an adequate increase of bridge voltage after increasing the value of control resistance? (One decimal could be acceptable?).

When we are at the standby position we get 0.17V in the display of thermal control unit and when we turn the operating mode to conductivity we get 0.33V. By increasing the control resistance to 6 Ohm we get 0.41V. Is it possible the thermal probe to be destroyed at this voltage?

2.      Setting the control resistance :

Is the tip “engaged” to the surface before switching the thermal control unit to conductivity mode?   

Do we scan along a surface line while heating the probe tip?

Do we have to switch to the STANDBY position before advancing to the next 5Ohms with the first knob? 

The existing application (with number 426) was released on June 2007. Is any updated version available?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards

Evangelia

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 3:41 PM

Hi Evangelia,

I assume that you are using the analog thermal box for your measurement. That box has been superceeded for quite some years by a newer software controlled version. Having said that, it always worked fine if one did not mind setting the resistance settings "by hand". I dropped a PDF version of the user manual describing the operation of the thermal unit with the CP2 microscope into my folder. Just ignore the part describing the operation of the CP. The thermal box used for the CP is the same as the one you have.

With kind regards,

Stefan

CP2_SThM.pdf

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 22

Dear Stefan,

Thank you very much for your reply and the useful material.

With my best regards

Evangelia

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments