The Nanoscale World

Contact mode: 6 nm constant gap between the trace and the retrace line?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652
stsolong posted on Thu, Jul 12 2012 2:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I scan over a flat Si wafer surface by contact mode(Conductive-AFM) with tip SCM-PIC. There is always a gap between  the trace and the retrace line, around 6 nm. Is it a water film? The deflection setpoint is 0.3 V, but i have to pull the tip out of surface by setting the ´deflection setpoint´= -0.5 V, instead of  0V.

The worse thing is that the trace and retrace lines sometime don´t have the similar sharp. For example, a small high feature in trace line becomes the small indentation(low feature) in the retrace line. The 6 nm gap is always existing while scanning some flat surface.

What is the reason for that? How can I eliminate or reduce it? Thanks a lot!!

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Answered (Not Verified) replied on Thu, Jul 12 2012 11:32 AM

Hi stsolong,

Can you please post a picture as I am not exactly sure what you are referring to.

Thanks,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 12
Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652

Thanks Stefan for your reply.

Here is the screenshot. Just on the right side of the big peak, there is a small high lump of the trace line(white). But conversely  a small convex pit on the retrace line(yellow).

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652

Sorry, I typed wrongly.  I mean the convex lump on trace line is conversely a pit on the retrace line.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments