The Nanoscale World

Height differences between tapping and Peak force tapping measurements. Any reference?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 40
Gerard Oncins Marco posted on Wed, Sep 26 2012 9:11 AM

Hi SPMers!

I have experienced remarkable height differences while imaging biological samples in regular tapping vs. Peak Force tapping. Height is always smaller in tapping, I guess that due to the higher vertical force exerted by the tip; Nevertheless, I would be really grateful if any of you could give me the reference of any publication covering this topic, that is, any paper with a sistematic study comparing peak force and tapping or just any paper you know where these height differences are noticed.

Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 16

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 7:40 AM

why wouldn't you be the first one to publish such results?

• | Post Points: 10
Answered (Not Verified) replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 8:00 AM

If your height issmaller in tapping it is an indication at you indent your soft bio sample more than you do in PeakForce tapping. One has to carefully analyze the forces involved to understand that. When I am back in the office I will check on the publication. 

Stefan

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 139
Peter replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:37 AM
I don't think there is any such comparison, due to the fact that Peak-force tapping is such a new technique. However, there are a lot of papers covering the topic of contrast variations in tapping mode. Just a few papers: 1. Mechler, Á. et al. Anomalies in nanostructure size measurements by AFM. Phys. Rev. B 72, 125407 (2005). 2. Nemes-Incze, P., Osváth, Z., Kamarás, K. & Biró, L. P. Anomalies in thickness measurements of graphene and few layer graphite crystals by tapping mode atomic force microscopy. Carbon 46, 1435–1442 (2008).
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments