The Nanoscale World

Nanolithography using Nanoscope V

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
Ravi Gaikwad posted on Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:39 PM

Hi,

I am interested in creating simple 500 nm square shaped pattern using a Diamond coated tip on a semiconductor material. I know Bruker has the Nanoman software to perform this task, but is there a way I can use the existing software options to make this pattern? Can point and shoot be used for this purpose? I am using the latest software version 8.15 and the machine is MM8, J scanner. 

Thanks.

Ravi Gaikwad.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Suggested by Ben Ohler

If you don't mind a fully manual procedure, then you could just use the XY offset parameters to move the tip in a square pattern while the scan size is set at 0. The offsets move in feedback. So if you engage in contact mode with zero scan size, adjust the setpoint to a high enough force that you will scratch, and then adjust the offsets appropriately you should find that you've created your desired pattern. Just remember to switch back to tapping mode or a lower setpoint before you try to image your creation.

The "LITHO" package also presents a less expensive alternative than NanoMan. With it, you need to write a script, compile it, and then run it. The advantage is that once you have written the script you can run it very easily multiple times.

Keep in mind that the MultiMode J scanner is an open-loop scanner. Regular, periodic scan motions are very well calibrated on the MultiMode, but the same precision is not possible for offsets. So don't be surprised if your square is skewed and if the last segment of the square doesn't quite connect to the first segment.

Regards,

-Ben

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34

Hi Ben,

I did play with the offset parameters and could create some patterns but my question was whether Point and shoot can be used for simple lithography patterns? The shapes I created using the J scanner were not that great as we have the open loop J scanner and as expected it has lots of drift when used for this purpose. I will try my best to play with other options as well.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Regards.

Ravi

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652

Yes, Point and Shoot might work. There should be a parameter in ramp mode under the "Mode" group called "XY move on surface." If enabled, it should move the tip in feedback from one Point and Shoot location to another. I'm not sure, however, if this motion is a straight line or two orthogonal steps.

-Ben

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34

Thanks Ben, I think we will be getting the Nanoman software for our purposes. Our technique worked for crude square/diamond shaped structures.

Best wishes.

Ravi Gaikwad

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments