The Nanoscale World

Flattening an image containing a step change in height

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 26
Nathaniel posted on Mon, Jan 14 2013 8:41 AM

I've been imaging a coating on a substrate and have had good success using our DI3000 instrument.

However, the image I'm working with, which contains a step height change due to the coating, cannot be flattened using the methods i would normally use.  Is there a way to flatten two areas of the image independently of one another?  Is there any method of flattening that would 'clean up' this image?

For a normal scan I generally use a 1st order flatten which seems to make the scan 'flat' as I would expect.  For this image, with a first order flatten, I get a large height difference at the interface but then it seems to force the data (especially on the 'lower side') to a median value which I don't think is real.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Nathaniel

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:01 AM

You can just one side of the step for the flattening (use the larger area if they are not equal). You can exclude the other side and the step by using the Threshold option in the Flatten dialog (e.g. use Z < 20%) or something which only uses the bottom 20% of height pixels for the flattening.

This works best if the edge is perpendicular to the fast scan direction (because flattening is done line by line and not for the whole image).

Cheers

Janne

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments