The Nanoscale World

HSDC of FCs in PeakForce Tapping

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
Tobi posted on Wed, May 8 2013 7:22 AM

Dear,

I have a question regarding high speed data capturing using the Peakforce Scanasyst Air mode on a Multimode. I want to
capture the force curves in parallel to the height image. I tried using the "hsd caturing" option and have set the following settings:
channels: (@500 kHz: Deflection Error; Height)
Trigger:
-Auto re-arm
-EOL
-Defl Error
-Level 0.00V
-Level positive
-delay 0.00ms
-Duration 500ms

The duration of 500ms corresponds to the one retrace I want to capture.

I see, however, that the high speed data acquisition cannot follow the image acquisition when scanning with e.g. 500nm/s.
If trigger conditions are met, hsdc starts, but when the data acquisition is finished, the trace has moved already several lines further. In this way, I lose 2/3 of the information of my image.

Is there a way to capture, while imaging the topography, the underlying force curves (= raw data)? Would the data acquisition be faster if I would use channel 2 (height) and "create" the image file myself instead of capturing the height image "directly"?

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance!
Tobi

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Tobi,

Your issue arises because it takes time to transfer the data from the DSP card in the computer to the computer's main memory.  All of the curves are captured in the 500ms duration, but you have to wait for them to upload before you can trigger another capture.  To save all of the force curves in the image, either set up the scan to take a full image within the maximum acquisition time (~30sec) or use Peak Force Capture with Nanoscope 8.15r3 or later. 

Peak Force Capture is the preferred method.  See http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/t/1208.aspx to see if and how you can download the latest version.

--Bede

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
Tobi replied on Wed, May 8 2013 1:06 PM

Hey Bede,

thanks for the fast response!

I am curious to see if I can get it fixed next Monday :) as we have Thursday and Friday a day off.

Kind regards,

Tobi

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
Tobi replied on Mon, May 13 2013 5:46 AM

Hey Bede,

as I understood it correctly, the QNM key is needed for PeakForce Capture (http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/1270/3422.aspx#3422). Is that correct?

I was trying to find a solution to get the raw data out of the PeakForce Tapping mode for a few images as I don't have the QNM key, but stumbled across the capturing problems as described before. I tried using Force Volume, however, the results are not even close to the ones of PeakForce analysis.

(used Nanoscope version: 8.15R3sr1)

Kind regards,

Tobias

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Tobias,

You are correct, the PeakForce QNM key is required to collect PeakForce Capture files.  Without the key, you will have to stick with force volume or point&shoot ramping.

--Bede

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments