The Nanoscale World

Nanoscope III vs Nanoscope IIIa

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
Hari posted on Wed, Oct 23 2013 12:55 PM

I am looking to find the important differences between Nanoscope III and Nanoscope IIIa controllers. I heard from someone that for tapping mode imaging in fluid, I will need a different type of fluid cell when using a Nanoscope III. I would appreciate if someone could confirm me if this is true and if so explain why ?

Thanks in advance !

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Hari,

There are 2 primary differences between the NanoScope III and IIIa controllers

- The IIIa controller allows the use of "Z Modulation," which was used for TappingMode in fluid on the AFM systems at that time that used the Dimension scanner, such as the Dimension 3000, 3100, 5000, and original BioScope.  The fluid cantilever holder did not have a piezo for oscillating the cantilever, so we would oscillate the Z scanner for fluid tapping.  To do this, we would enable the "Z Modulation" parameter, which was available on the NanoScope IIIa controller, and not the NanoScope III controller.  This would redirect the Drive Frequency and Drive Amplitude signals from the cantilever holder to the Z scanner when this parameter was Enabled.  Later, we came out with a fluid cantilever holder for the Dimension which includes a piezo to oscillate the probe directly (Direct Drive Fluid Cell for Dimension), so we no longer needed to use Z Modulation for fluid tapping on Dimension systems.  This did not effect the MultiMode, since the fluid Tapping cantilever holder includes a piezo to oscillate the probe.

- The NanoScope IIIa had more Auxillary inputs than the NanoScope III.

I hope this answers your question.

John

• | Post Points: 12
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
Hari replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 2:33 PM

Hi John,

That makes perfect sense !

Its nice to know that Z modulation can in theory used for TappingMode with a passive fluid cell.

Thanks !

Best,

Hari

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments