The Nanoscale World

Imaging Artefact - Edge of the image is blurred

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 22
mxmsj posted on Fri, Aug 15 2014 8:18 AM

I have been getting an imaging artefact recently using the Multimode 8, ScanAsyst in Fluid where 1-3 microns at one edge of my image are blurred. This happens on all scan sizes and scan rates and at all scan angles. I have tried replacing the tip (DNP-10D) multiple times, have tried changing the peak force setpoint. Changing the direction from trace to retrace makes the artefact appear on the other side of the image. The artefact does not occur when imaging in air (Using ScanAsyst in Air).

The problem might be related to my horizontal deflection which slowly creeps to high values (from 0 to values >+3), but my vertical deflection remains fairly constant and the blurring only occurs at the edge of the image.  

So my question here is if anyone has experienced the same artefact and knows that is the cause?

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee
Verified by Thomas Mueller

An image artefact at one edge of the image frame sounds like a rounding error. Check that the rounding parameter is not 0. If it is, give it a value such as 0.1 or 0.15. This may make the artefact disappear. Rounding simply allows the scanner to overshoot the recorded image frame (i.e. by nominally 10% 15%) such that the data you capture is at a linear scanner velocity rather than inclusive of the turnaround point. The rounding parameter can be set by showing all the parameters in the scan parameter area or from one of the top menus in the software - scanner XY settings or something similar. If the problem is not rounding and it persists please contact service and we can troubleshoot it more:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE AFMSupport@Bruker-Nano.com

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee
Verified by Thomas Mueller

An image artefact at one edge of the image frame sounds like a rounding error. Check that the rounding parameter is not 0. If it is, give it a value such as 0.1 or 0.15. This may make the artefact disappear. Rounding simply allows the scanner to overshoot the recorded image frame (i.e. by nominally 10% 15%) such that the data you capture is at a linear scanner velocity rather than inclusive of the turnaround point. The rounding parameter can be set by showing all the parameters in the scan parameter area or from one of the top menus in the software - scanner XY settings or something similar. If the problem is not rounding and it persists please contact service and we can troubleshoot it more:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE AFMSupport@Bruker-Nano.com

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 22
mxmsj replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 6:11 AM

Thank you very much Ian, this actually solved the problem for me! 

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments