The Nanoscale World

Upward Z movement using NanoMan feature.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 51
Yen Hseu posted on Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:23 PM

Hello.

I am working with a Bioscope Catalyst with a Nanoscope V Controller.

While imaging in contact mode in air, I am able to to make both a negative (push down) and positive (lift up) Z Move action using the NanoMan Path tab settings.

I have tried to replicate this process in fluids but the system will only let me push downwards on the sample with a negative Z move value. Whenever I try to lift up by entering a positive Z Move value, at any distance starting from only 5nm lift to 150nm lift, the system would give an error message saying that Z limit has been reached and the move in the Z direction failed.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem or knows how to resolve it?
Is an upward movement in the Z direction possible using the NanoMan while scanning in fluids?

Thank you ! 

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Answered (Verified) Bede Pittenger replied on Mon, Mar 30 2015 2:05 PM
Verified by Bede Pittenger

Usually that sort of thing happens when the Z limit is reduced or if the system is not able to find the surface correctly (it is not really fully engaged.  

1. I would check the Z limit first (found in the 'Limits' group of the parameter list) -- you can type in a very large number (9999999999) to see what the maximum limit is -- if it is reduced from the maximum then increasing it might help. 
  2. If that is not the issue, you might be false engaged just before you ask for the lift.  Check the Realtime status: the piezo should be near the center of the range (see attached).  If it is not, try decreasing the amplitude setpoint to better contact the surface.
  3. Also, you may want to try this on a very simple sample like a small piece of a CD -- if the sample is very soft, poorly bound to the surface, or fibrous, it may be difficult to maintain good tracking.  In that case, sample preparation may be the solution.

Hope that helps!

--Bede

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Answered (Verified) Bede Pittenger replied on Mon, Mar 30 2015 2:05 PM
Verified by Bede Pittenger

Usually that sort of thing happens when the Z limit is reduced or if the system is not able to find the surface correctly (it is not really fully engaged.  

1. I would check the Z limit first (found in the 'Limits' group of the parameter list) -- you can type in a very large number (9999999999) to see what the maximum limit is -- if it is reduced from the maximum then increasing it might help. 
  2. If that is not the issue, you might be false engaged just before you ask for the lift.  Check the Realtime status: the piezo should be near the center of the range (see attached).  If it is not, try decreasing the amplitude setpoint to better contact the surface.
  3. Also, you may want to try this on a very simple sample like a small piece of a CD -- if the sample is very soft, poorly bound to the surface, or fibrous, it may be difficult to maintain good tracking.  In that case, sample preparation may be the solution.

Hope that helps!

--Bede

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 51

Thanks Bede !

It seems like the problem was caused by the surface of the sample. There was a layer of contamination on the surface that could have possibly caused some problems with the tip's ability to accurately determine the actual surface. 
Everything else you mentioned were normal (I had the limit set to maximum by default).

I moved on to a cleaner surface and everything worked fine.

Thanks,
-Yen  

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments