The Nanoscale World

Solvent Used for fluid operation

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 80
KomeijiKoishi posted on Tue, May 5 2015 11:07 PM

I have a watersoluable sample to image.In scanasyst air mode,it resolution can reach my object,so I want to image in scanasyst fluid.Since I can't use water to image.I hope anyone who is mastered in Fluid opertion can help me to find some solvent suitable to work in fluid opertion.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Hi KomeijiKoishi,

Your question has two key points really:

1. AFM-Solvent compatibility: This is simply a question of knowing the materials in your particular fluid cell (i.e. glass or PEEK fluid cell, viton or fluorosilicone gasket, gold cantilever clip? potting material/ adhesives used inside the cell that can contact the solvent). This is to make sure the hardware is not damaged, the experiment is safe, and in general if it is going to work.

2. Sample-Solvent compatibility: You should know your sample better than anyone. I'm going to guess that if it is soluble in water it may not be soluble in something like decahexane for example? If this is true then I would check the chemical compatibility of decahexane with the materials in your AFM fluid cell. If the solvent does not aggressively react with any of those materials you are probably safe to go ahead.

Contact me at ian.armstrong@bruker.com to discuss this further. If you tell me your particular AFM, I can tell you what materials are used in the liquid cell and provide chemical compatibility charts.

Best regards

Ian

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments