Tip wear and ScanAsyst

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
143 Posts
Points 3,545
Bruker Employee
BrukerApplications posted on Tue, Jan 12 2010 1:02 PM

Would it be more forgiving for the probes  when ScanAsyst is used, in terms of obtaining the same resolution?

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 147

Same question here. I have several samples to look at and I would like to know if I need a diamond tip. As far as I knew it goes really soft on the surface.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Andres,

I don't think you need a diamond tip if you are concerned about tip wear in imaging (you may want to consider it if you are trying to do mechanical measurements on hard surfaces though - see the app note: Quantitative Mechanical Property Mapping at the Nanoscale with PeakForce QNM AN128.pdf

Check out this thread for a discussion on tip wear and force control with Peak Force Tapping: http://www.veeco.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/397/623.aspx#623

Steve

• | Post Points: 12
Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 147

Thanks Stephen,

I'm only interested in topography. I was using ScanAsyst-Air tips but it seems that my surface is too rough (range can be around 1um). From time to time the scanner would ask me to withdraw because crash warnings (1 scan area is 5um but the other is 50um).  I had to go for another contact tip I had laying around.  Doesn't seem as sharp enough but seems to be holding OK.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments