mapping of various properties as a function of time

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 162
Deepak posted on Fri, Jun 5 2015 11:52 PM

Hello friends

I was interested in measuring the variation in various properties (deflection, friction, current, etc) as a function of time at a particular spot on the sample surface using Nanoscope IIIa. 

What is the most  reliable way to do the above

Thanks 

Deepak 

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee
Verified by Deepak

Hi Deepak,

The v5 series of sofwtare do not inlcude the functionality to smeasure and store a user-selected parameter as a function of time. What you could maybe try is the following: go into the regular spectroscopy software (the one which is for exampel sued for force spectroscopy, or I-V spectroscopy). In this software, the user defines a 'ramp channel' (= parameter which will be ramped, X) and the channel which will be measured durign this ramp (Y) - X & Y refering to the XY plot which gets created and stored. If you want to measure a parameter as a function fo time, your could consider to apply a 'fake' ramp (take for example the spare Analog3 channel, and ramp it between two values you choose - select the ramp speed such that the total ramp time corresponds to the time you would like to measure the channel Y). The 'spectrum' will sho the Y channel, and you shoudl be able to open this in the Nanoscope Analysis offline software.

More recent and current software versions have more dedicated functions for this, off course.

Peter

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee

Hi Deepak,

As far as I recall, the Nanoscope-IIIa (V5 series software) does not have a dedciated function to collect specific parameters as a function of time.Which software version are you running exactly?

More recent controllers (V) / software, allow one to do this in a couple of ways and at different acquisition rates ('strip-charts', HSDC,..).

Peter

Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 162
Deepak replied on Wed, Jun 10 2015 12:10 AM

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information

We are using software version 5.31 r1

Deepak

Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee
Verified by Deepak

Hi Deepak,

The v5 series of sofwtare do not inlcude the functionality to smeasure and store a user-selected parameter as a function of time. What you could maybe try is the following: go into the regular spectroscopy software (the one which is for exampel sued for force spectroscopy, or I-V spectroscopy). In this software, the user defines a 'ramp channel' (= parameter which will be ramped, X) and the channel which will be measured durign this ramp (Y) - X & Y refering to the XY plot which gets created and stored. If you want to measure a parameter as a function fo time, your could consider to apply a 'fake' ramp (take for example the spare Analog3 channel, and ramp it between two values you choose - select the ramp speed such that the total ramp time corresponds to the time you would like to measure the channel Y). The 'spectrum' will sho the Y channel, and you shoudl be able to open this in the Nanoscope Analysis offline software.

More recent and current software versions have more dedicated functions for this, off course.

Peter

• | Post Points: 14
Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 162
Deepak replied on Fri, Jun 19 2015 2:03 AM

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply. 

I would like to clarify a few points regarding the method you have recommended:

(1) I should go to the spectroscopy mode and keep the starting and ending ramp values the same. For example if I am ramping the voltage signal then starting and ending voltage value should be the same. 

(2) Thereafter I should keep the total time of the data acquisition the same as the time for which I require the output signal (for example current).

The above is what you are referring to as the fake ramp?

Deepak

• | Post Points: 10
Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 162
Deepak replied on Wed, Jul 15 2015 12:24 PM

Hi Peter

I was able to get the value of friction as a function of time using the method of fake ramp suggested by you. thanks a lot

Deepak

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments