The Nanoscale World

signal access module

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 162
Deepak posted on Fri, Jun 19 2015 2:17 AM

Hi Friends

This is regarding using the signal access module with Nanoscope III a controller.

I am interested in retrieving the friction data of a sample  from the nanoscope through the signal access module. Is the above possible and if yes what are steps to be followed. 

I have been trying to read the SAM manual but am not able to understand it clearly. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Deepak 

• | Post Points: 16

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
20 Posts
Points 220
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

Hi Deepak,

the lateral photodiode signal can usually be accessed from the "output" BNC terminal of the Aux A channel on the SAM in both contact and tapping mode on NS3a instruments, if the SAM is connected between the extender module and the AFM. I have not tested if this is still the case if the SAM is connected between the extender and controller.

The value for the lateral deflection measured at the SAM is a factor of 1.5 smaller than that displayed in the software on the instruments that I have tested (Multimode, D3100) and the signal at the SAM appears to be lowpass filtered, but I have not measured the cutoff frequency. 

I hope this is of some help.

Nic

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Hi Deepak,

What kind of microscope are you using?  A Multimode?  Do you have an 'extender' box between the microscope and the controller?

--Bede

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 12
Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 162
Deepak replied on Wed, Jul 15 2015 12:20 PM

Hi Bede

I am using Nanoscope IIIa. The signal access module is connected between the extender and the controller

Deepak

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Thanks Nic,

That sounds right, although I think the scaling factor is 1.2 not 1.5 (this is due to the difference in range of +-10v vs +-12V).  Also, make sure the switch is in the 'output' position if you are just reading the signal.

--Bede

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 48

Hi Deepak:

Where can I find the SAM manual?

I am beginning to do friction studies using a DI-300 system.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vinnie Gupta

Professor, Mechanical Engineering

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments