Potential difference in KPM measurement

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113
Arthur Tseng posted on Tue, Jul 7 2015 9:32 PM

Hi All, 

I measured two different metal(Au & Pd) in KPM mode. The Pd is overlapping with Au.

Basically, the work functions of Au and Pd are about 5.1eV and 5.22eV, respectively.

I expect that the potential difference of these two metal measured by KPM is about 0.1V(=100mV), but the measured value is much less than that (only 10~20mV). 

Thank you for any suggestions.

Arthur

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Hi Arthur,

One suggestion, if you are using amplitude modulation version of KPFM, make sure you scan a large enough area away from the overlap region. You need the whole cantilever (not tip) over Au, and again over Pd to get robust numbers for each. For a typical width cantilever this means scanning 60-80um across the overlap (centered at the overlap) with the long axis of the cantilever parallel to the overlap. I suspect the further you scan from the overlap the closer the measured potential difference will be to the expected 100mV.

Best regards

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113

Hi, Ian

Thank you for your advice.

It's very clear to me.

I will try it.

Best regards,

Arthur

Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660

Hi Arthur,

Please contact our Tech Support for more information about running KPFM: AFM.Support@bruker.com and +1 800-873-9750

The Application Note here is also very helpful: http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/media/p/3273.aspx

Thanks,

Teddy

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 113

Hi Teddy,

Thank you for your information.

Best regards,

Arthur

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS