trouble in Icon

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 180
fangfang posted on Mon, May 31 2010 5:23 PM

Hello,

We just installed the Icon in our lab. I have a quesiont about software. When I am clicking on the "engage", there is one question appeared. "The current calibration parameters do not match those stored on the head. This typically occurs when a new head is installed, or if an advanced user has made changes to optimize the calibration for a special experiment. Would you like to use the parameters stored on the head? Choosing 'yes'(recommended will copy the parameters from the head to the scanner file (1b7d7.scn) and make them current. Choosing 'No' will continue with the current parameters" What should I choose? "yes","no" or "Cancel".

Another quesiton is about the image of smooth silicon wafer. But I don't know how to attach the image. Please give me an e-mail address that I can send the image.

Thanks!

Fangfang

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Verified by fangfang

The scanner calibration allows the system to convert from raw voltages to distances.  An incorrect calibration could lead to incorrect measurements in images (X, Y, or Z) or features that look squashed or stretched.

Icon scanners store a copy of the calibration on the head in addition to the one on the hard drive of the computer.  There are two primary causes of a mismatch between these files:

1.  The scanner was swapped with another scanner.

2. A user adjusted the scanner calibration and did not write the calibration to the head.

The recommended action is to take the calibration from the head and write it to a scanner file on the hard drive of the computer (say 'Yes').  Why is this?  In case (1) above, this will put a new scanner file on the system that should be accurate (we are assuming that the calibration on the head is accurate).  Since each scanner is different and needs a different calibration, this will keep your measurements accurate if you change scanners.  In case (2) above, the advanced user that adjusted the calibration likely did not intend that calibration to be for general use.  Otherwise they would have written the calibration to the head.  The message that you saw is a chance for that advanced user to proceed with their temporary calibration knowing that the next user on the system will be warned that the scanner file does not match.

The bottom line is that you should be safe choosing 'Yes'.

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 65
Bruker Employee

Fangfang,

One of our applications engineers will be addressing your question regarding the calibration parameters mismatch, in th emeantime, please send the data image to my email address with any questions you may have and I will make sure you get your answers.

Thank you,

Hector Lara

Sr. Product Manager 

AFM Metrology

hlara@veeco.com

• | Post Points: 12
Top 50 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 180

one more question:"Error: The engage setpoint has fallen below the minimum limit." It happens everytime click "engage".

Fangfang

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Verified by fangfang

The scanner calibration allows the system to convert from raw voltages to distances.  An incorrect calibration could lead to incorrect measurements in images (X, Y, or Z) or features that look squashed or stretched.

Icon scanners store a copy of the calibration on the head in addition to the one on the hard drive of the computer.  There are two primary causes of a mismatch between these files:

1.  The scanner was swapped with another scanner.

2. A user adjusted the scanner calibration and did not write the calibration to the head.

The recommended action is to take the calibration from the head and write it to a scanner file on the hard drive of the computer (say 'Yes').  Why is this?  In case (1) above, this will put a new scanner file on the system that should be accurate (we are assuming that the calibration on the head is accurate).  Since each scanner is different and needs a different calibration, this will keep your measurements accurate if you change scanners.  In case (2) above, the advanced user that adjusted the calibration likely did not intend that calibration to be for general use.  Otherwise they would have written the calibration to the head.  The message that you saw is a chance for that advanced user to proceed with their temporary calibration knowing that the next user on the system will be warned that the scanner file does not match.

The bottom line is that you should be safe choosing 'Yes'.

• | Post Points: 11
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments