Bioscope SZ / Dimension hybrid scanner sum-signal problem

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 50
Torbjorn Pettersson posted on Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:25 PM

Normal 0 21 false false false SV X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I need some advice regarding Bioscope SZ that I recently have started to operate (I have extensive knowledge from pervious MultiMode usage).

When aligning the laser on any cantilevers and adjusting the detector, I’m getting problem with a dropping sum signal (time dependent) ending up on low sum signals. At this point I do not know if this is hardware or software related. I will try to explain my problem and I’m glad for any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

The Bioscope SZ is us is today running NanoScope 6.13r1 software.

The problem arises when trying to align the laser on a cantilever, when having the laser on the cantilever and having adjusted the detector with normal and horizontal signals close to zero. Now the strange is happening the sum signal starts to drop from 1 down to low values close to zero. This happens on coated respectively uncoated cantilevers. Also the same effect happens after moving the laser spot slightly on the cantilever followed by rearranging the detector. For me this is strange and I have not seen this behavior in MultiMode before.

Why is this happen?

How can I avoid it?

Is the sum signal generated in the Bioscope controller or in the software?

Is it possibly to change the engage sum signal limit in the software?

Why do I have a sum signal when the laser is not reflected on the cantilever? (-1.2 V)

Why is the sum signal jumping between -10 to +10 V when adjusting the detector?

Best regards,

Torbjorn

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Torbjorn, typically this type of behavior with the sum and photo detector signals indicates a problem with the head electronics or the controller.  In more unusual cases it can be a dsp communication problem. Most likely a repair of one of those components will be required. Our tech support group may be able to help pin down the problem a little better.

It is possible to change the minimum engage sum signal in software but there is clearly a fault in the electronics. I would not recommend running the microscope in that state.

Please use this link to find a service contact: http://www.veeco.com/contact/Tech_Support/index.aspx

or contact me offline (mmaybrun@veeco.com) and I can give you the service office in your area.

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Torbjorn, typically this type of behavior with the sum and photo detector signals indicates a problem with the head electronics or the controller.  In more unusual cases it can be a dsp communication problem. Most likely a repair of one of those components will be required. Our tech support group may be able to help pin down the problem a little better.

It is possible to change the minimum engage sum signal in software but there is clearly a fault in the electronics. I would not recommend running the microscope in that state.

Please use this link to find a service contact: http://www.veeco.com/contact/Tech_Support/index.aspx

or contact me offline (mmaybrun@veeco.com) and I can give you the service office in your area.

• | Post Points: 11
Top 500 Contributor
1 Posts
Points 10
Bruker Employee

Hello Torbjorn,

From the information in your message it seems very likely that the electronics in your scanner (TIA loops) are defect. These electronics process the signals coming from the different detector segments and finally result in the SUM signal displayed.

But to start it would be easier to help you communicating through email or phone. Please send me your contact details (email, tel, adress etc) and the serialnumber of the Microscope.

Email: mlaarhoven@veeco.com

Tel: +31-613058564

Kind regards,

Marcel van Laarhoven

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments