The Nanoscale World

How construct IV curves?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 25
Mary Cruz posted on Tue, Aug 31 2010 9:26 AM

Hello,

I was looking for technical information about how can I construct IV curves after afm caracterization of samples. I really appreciate your comments.

thank you.

Mary Cruz

• | Post Points: 15

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Mary, please tell me what version of NanoScope you are using.

Thanks, Mike

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Alternatively you could just send me a nanoscope data file from one of your captured ramps.  My email address is mmaybrun@veeco.com.  Regards, Mike

Answered (Not Verified) replied on Thu, Sep 2 2010 6:09 PM

Hi Mary,

You can measure I/V curves by applying a voltage between your tip and sample and measuring the current flow. The voltage is typically applied to the sample, the "V-signal" and a suitable I/V converter connects to the tip. That I/V converter pulls the input signal to (virtual) ground and amplifies it so that a sensible output signal can be achieved. The output signal of the I/V converter is used as an input signal: the " I signal". Measurements are typically carried out in contact mode, current ranges are typically micro-Amp to pico-Amp. What components do you need?

1. A good AFM

2. A suitable I/V converter with wiring

3. Conductive tips.

4. Software for ramping the bias voltage and displaying the current signal.

In addition to point measurements, i.e. local I/V curves, you can of course also image at a given bias voltage. Thus a good closed-loop AFM, e.g. Icon, Edge, Innova, is very beneficial as it allows you to precisely adress certain locations whithin your image to carry out the I/V measurement.

Stefan

• | Post Points: 12
Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 25

Hi Stefan,  thank you very much for your answer, it is very hepful for me.

regards,

Mary Cruz

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments