The Nanoscale World

measuring stress relaxation of samples using Dimension 3100 AFM w/Nanoman software

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 163
Alperen Ketene posted on Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:01 PM

Hello,
I'd like to know if there's a simple way to perform a force curve on a sample but delaying the retraction for about 10s;basically keeping my z-position constant for a specific amount of time before pulling away from my sample. Ultimately, I'd like to perform a "stress-relaxation test" at specific locations whereby i observe the total deflection change while "parked" at the z-position as a function of time. This can help me extract the viscoelastic properties of my sample.The AFM i'm using is the Dimension 3100 SPM with a nanoscope IVa controller with an installed Nanoman software.I was initially told that it is possible to do this task, but i cannot extract the relevant information from the referred manuals. I was suggested by a tech support representative to make use of the strip chart recorder while in Nanoman mode. Any suggestions/tips will help; The manuals are not very helpful. Thanks in advance.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 163

Stefan,

Thank you for the reference. I will try to go through the same steps as mentioned within that thread.Hopefully my current system will allow the stress relaxation data.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 163

Hello Stefan,

Thank you once again for the reference on the strip chart procedure.I do get convincing results.I would like to extend a question to you: Do you or anyone you may know have experience in performing force curves in liquid medium with the dimension3100 afm? I'm having some issues with the overall setup.Specifically, i'm trying to do force curves on samples within a petridish with certain amount of medium in it.I currently have one standard fluid cell probe holder as well as one rubber slip to help in protecting the electronics. I would like to get some tips/suggestions on how to properly place a petridish on my afm platform and then plunge my afm tip into the medium so i can perform my experiments.Thanks!

Alperen Ketene

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Stefan Kaemmer:
PS I tried to post a link to the thread instead of just the title but failed miserably

Here's a link to cut and paste:

http://www.veeco.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/399/628.aspx

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Luis replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 3:35 PM

Hi, it's has been a long time since they have updated this post, but I'm interested in the comment Alperen Ketene made, but I can not see all the answers to this posts, neither Stefan Kaemmer's answers nor the link http://www.veeco.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/399/628.aspx

If anyone has any info about it I would appreciate it!

Top 75 Contributor
14 Posts
Points 163

Hi Luis,

If you're interested in knowing more about stress relaxation curve acquisition, you may contact my colleague who picked up the AFM work a couple years ago; Hesam Babahosseini at heb10001@vt.edu. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you with any questions regarding this topic. Also, please take a chance to glance through some of our journal publications.

Thank you for the attention.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments