Nanoindentation in Dimension Icon

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 82
Nishith Parikh posted on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:27 AM

Hi,

I have dimension Icon  AFM and doing indentation under QNM mode using TAP525A. I want to give a delay time where tip is hold against the sample during indentation against the load and would like to see that effect in force displacement curve. I used surface delay and retract delay option but it didnt worked The surface delay just does not record the data for force displacement for that amount of time. I was wondering is there any option where i can give contact time keeping load constant. I saw in another post and someone mentioned ramp delay but i could not find that option under QNM or nanoindentation mode.

Nishith

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Nishith,

PeakForce QNM on the ICON uses PeakForce Tapping to oscillate the probe at a constant rate while generating force curves, and there is not the option to setup a ramp delay to hold the tip on the sample at the end of the extention for a specified period of time. 

If this is what you want to do, the standard force curve menu and the "nanoindentation" menu have this option.  In version 8.1 on the ICON, this parameter is called "Surface Delay", and it is in the Advanced parameter menu (click on the red icon with 4 puzzle pieces).  Also, on the ICON you can use the Scripting interface in the force menu to program a customized version of the experiment as well.  Using the Z closed loop, you can program it to extend the tip toward the sample until it reaches a specified deflection or Z movement and hold for a specific amount of time.  During the holding period, you can collect changes in the deflection and/or Z scanner movement.  If you want more info on this, let me know.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have further questions.
John

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 82

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried  nanoindentation mode and use 'surface delay' for 10 second.  It doesn't  hold the tip on the sample, what it does was to not record the data for that amount of time. If you can give me your emailid i can show you the force curve without surface delay and with surface delay. Its basically the same curve except with surface delay, it does not record the data points for unloading curve for 10 second..

I am not able to understand the scripting interface, can you give more information on it? My emailid is nnparikh@mtu.edu

Thanks

Nishith

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Nishith,

You are correct that the surface delay does not record during the delay, but there are ways to do this using the scripting interface and the strip chart.  I would like to see the data that you have so far and get a better understanding of what you would like to do, so I will contact you and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,
John

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments