Catalyst with PicoAngler ?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341
Guillaume A. posted on Thu, Jan 13 2011 3:47 AM

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to plug the PicoAngler joystick on a Bioscope Catalyst System ?

Thanks

Guillaume

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Verified by Ben Ohler

Hi Guillaume,

Sorry for the delay, it took some investigation to find out the differences between the two PicoAnglers.

Unfortunately, we don't have a plug-in adapter that allows you to use the PicoAngler on both the PicoForce and the NSV. What is possible would be to change the cable on the PicoAngler to convert it from the PicoForce version to the NSV version. It has a connector on the PicoAngler end, so it's not as if there is soldering required or anything difficult. But you do need to open the case of the PicoAngler, so it wouldn't be very convenient to switch back and forth between the two cables frequently. I can work with your local Bruker sales or service manager to provide a quote for the replacement cable if you like.

A second option would require you to build an adapter. The only difference between the two PicoAngler versions is the connector. The PicoForce version uses a 15-pin female d-sub connector and the NSV version uses a 25-pin female d-sub connector. You would need an adapter with a male 15-pin connector on one end and a female 25-pin connector on the other end. The wiring connections would need to be 1-to-1 on pins 1 through 15 of both connectors (i.e. pin 1 on the 15-pin end connects to pin 1 on the 25-pin connector, etc.). Pins 16-25 on the 25-pin connector would not be connected. They are reserved in the controller for future uses of that port. I looked to see if any such adapter is available commercially and didn't find anything. It's not a common adapter like a 9-pin to 25-pin serial port adapter. This option would give you more flexibility to switch between using the PicoAngler on the two different systems if you don't mind the little project to make the adapter.

The third option is to buy a whole new PicoAngler for the NSV. This is the easiest but, of course, the most expensive option.

Send me an email if you need more information on these options (ben.ohler@bruker-nano.com).

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652

Yes, you can use the PicoAngler with Catalyst. It just needs to be the NanoScope V version of the PicoAngler with the 25-pin dsub connector that plugs into the front panel of the NanoScope V.  I mention that because there's a different version specific to the MultiMode PicoForce that uses a 15-pin dsub connector, which plugs into the PicoForce accessory box.

-Ben

• Filed under:
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341

ok thanks Ben. Then is there a way to convert a PicoForce version into a Nanoscope V version ?

Guillaume

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Verified by Ben Ohler

Hi Guillaume,

Sorry for the delay, it took some investigation to find out the differences between the two PicoAnglers.

Unfortunately, we don't have a plug-in adapter that allows you to use the PicoAngler on both the PicoForce and the NSV. What is possible would be to change the cable on the PicoAngler to convert it from the PicoForce version to the NSV version. It has a connector on the PicoAngler end, so it's not as if there is soldering required or anything difficult. But you do need to open the case of the PicoAngler, so it wouldn't be very convenient to switch back and forth between the two cables frequently. I can work with your local Bruker sales or service manager to provide a quote for the replacement cable if you like.

A second option would require you to build an adapter. The only difference between the two PicoAngler versions is the connector. The PicoForce version uses a 15-pin female d-sub connector and the NSV version uses a 25-pin female d-sub connector. You would need an adapter with a male 15-pin connector on one end and a female 25-pin connector on the other end. The wiring connections would need to be 1-to-1 on pins 1 through 15 of both connectors (i.e. pin 1 on the 15-pin end connects to pin 1 on the 25-pin connector, etc.). Pins 16-25 on the 25-pin connector would not be connected. They are reserved in the controller for future uses of that port. I looked to see if any such adapter is available commercially and didn't find anything. It's not a common adapter like a 9-pin to 25-pin serial port adapter. This option would give you more flexibility to switch between using the PicoAngler on the two different systems if you don't mind the little project to make the adapter.

The third option is to buy a whole new PicoAngler for the NSV. This is the easiest but, of course, the most expensive option.

Send me an email if you need more information on these options (ben.ohler@bruker-nano.com).

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 14
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341

thanks again Ben all the information!

I think we will try to build an adaptater

Guillaume

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341

ok, we just build the adapter and it works pretty well!!

Thanks again Ben

Guillaume

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652

Great, good to hear!

-Ben

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments