The Nanoscale World

Starting VITA with Nanoscope V

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 58
sundamey posted on Mon, May 30 2011 3:21 PM

Hi,

I have installed VITA module to work with Nanoscope V. But when I put in the CD, I cannot get the VITA initial startup screen (like the one on page 12 of the manual). What should I do?

Thanks,

Anderson

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Answered (Not Verified) replied on Tue, May 31 2011 12:00 PM

Hi Anderson,

VITA should have been installed by Bruker customer support. If is, as you say, you won't need the CD. There should be a VITA icon on your desktop or under 'program Files".

Best,

Stefan

• Filed under:
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 58

Hi Stefan,

When I bought the unit from Veeco last year, they sent me the box and the installation CD. I followed the manual to do the installation. I have the icon on the desktop, but it is giving me only the the Hardware Connection Menu Set for Serial Connection.

Thanks,

Anderson

replied on Tue, May 31 2011 2:53 PM

Hi Anderson,

Which country are you in? I am asking because I would like to contact your local Bruker tech support.

Now lets go to installing your VITA box:

VITA talks to be PC via a supplied USB cable. Do not connect the a serial cable between the VITA box and the PC. Once you start VITA go to the Hardware settings.

Once this is done you need to set the settings of the communication between the Controller and the computer. Check under Device manager on your PC which COM port is used by the CP210x USB to UART controller. Enter that COM number in the VITA harware settings. If the USB210x driver is not installed, install it. It should reside on the CD but you can always download it from the net. Set Speed to the highest number and flow Control to Hardware. Now you can initialize the software. Once initialized you can connect a VITA probe.

Be careful: The SThM probes are static sensitive. Use the supplied grounding strap when handling the GLA probes!

Nanoscope requires a key to allow COM communication. Check for it. If not installed you have to set a bunch of tasks in Nanoscope by "hand" while running an experiment.

Good luck,

Stefan

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 58

Stephan,

I am in New Orleans at Xavier University of Louisiana. I had already made all the connections and was able to connect to the computer. I can redo that if you want.

Anderson

replied on Tue, May 31 2011 4:52 PM

Hi Anderson,

Did you connect the USB cable from the VITA box to the PC? Do you see the CP210x driver on your PC?

Stefan

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 58

Stefan,

The USB cable connects the Vita box to the PC. And I installed the CP210x driver on the PC.

Anderson

replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 4:34 PM

Great. Now you can check which COM port on your PC the driver is using.

Enter that COM port number (in this example it is COM5) into the VITA hardware setting, choose Hardware as flow control and the highest transfer speed.

In addtion you have to make the deflection signal (or deflection error if that is not easily available) available to VITA. On your NSV this can be done by routing one of the included BNC cables from OUT1 of the NSV to IN1 on the VITA box. What is left is to tell Nanoscope to route the deflection error to OUT1. You can accomplish that by clicking on the red puzzle piece in Nanoscope, select the option tab, and tell Nanoscope to use a 'input signal, in this case "deflection error" to route to the OUT1 BNC.

You should be ready to roll and can follow the manual starting to calibrate a probe. If you have a VITA key installed on your MM8, you may also want to use the 730 extension files for communication between VITA and Nanoscope.

Stefan

• Filed under: ,
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 58

Stefan,

I have a SAM between the microscope and the NSV, so I made the connection from the VITA box to the SAM. But I can connect directly to the NSV. Also, I don't see the "the red puzzle piece in Nanoscope",

My biggest problem is that I cannot make the calibration, because I don't have the right software, I think. When I click on the VITA icon, it gives me only the connection configuration window. So I cannot follow the manual instructions for the calibration.

Anderson

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments