The Nanoscale World

negative phase?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
17 Posts
Points 200
dalia posted on Thu, Jun 30 2011 2:08 PM

Hi,

Any explanation for negative phase  I have observed in regular tapping mode?  I am looking at Polypropylene/rubber compounds with a cantilever with k~1N/m (autotune looks fine - phase is centered at 90 degrees, I am imaging at 5% offset from peak), and see negative phase on the rubber domains. That doesn't seem to be physically meaningful so not sure what that means.

Thanks,

Dalia

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 55

In the Bruker and Agilent software that I work with, the +-10V DAQ input is mapped into +-90 degrees instead of 0-180 degrees (or 0 to -180). So 90 degrees is reported as zero. (Thus the "zeroing the phase" operation, when in fact one is "ninety-ing the phase".) So negative phase corresponds to one side of 90, rather than a (nonphysical) >90 degrees to one side of 90.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Suggested by Senthil

Hi Dalia,

I agree with RW’s post and to provide a little more detail. In our autotune routine we do set the Phase to zero at resonance, rather than leave it at the perhaps expected 90deg. I should note that you do have the option to not do this (by not hitting the “zero phase” button, or by doing a manual tune.) In your original post, you mention that the phase was at 90deg after autotune. Because of our autotune algorithm, and the negative number you report, I expect that it actually was set to zero – please double check.

Physically, and assuming the phase was zeroed at resonance, if it went negative it means the resonance shifted lower, or an attractive gradient was experienced.

Best,
Steve

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments