The Nanoscale World

laser alignment on TESP or TESPA tips ?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 140
Jay Chey posted on Wed, Jul 13 2011 4:52 PM

I would like to know the sure way to align the laser beam on the tip cantelevers. I usually move the X, and Y knobs to find tip. There are two numbers on the monitor: SUM, and RMS value. I try to set the SUM to around 2, but is higher the value, the better ?? Also, what is the meaning of RMS value ??

Do I need to do anything different when aligning with TESPA ??  The SUM value is much higher than TESP.

I am using Nanoscope IIIa in tapping mode.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Jay,

Check out this training manual, I think it will answer a lot of your questions: MANUAL, TRAINING STANDARD VERSION-E (004-130-000).pdf

I would also recommend having someone who knows the system spend a few hours with you to get you started. This will get you productive much faster.

The TESPA should have a higher sum. The A stands for aluminium coating, which increases the reflectivity.

Steve

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee

Jay,

Check out this training manual, I think it will answer a lot of your questions: MANUAL, TRAINING STANDARD VERSION-E (004-130-000).pdf

I would also recommend having someone who knows the system spend a few hours with you to get you started. This will get you productive much faster.

The TESPA should have a higher sum. The A stands for aluminium coating, which increases the reflectivity.

Steve

• | Post Points: 11
Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 140

Let me add on to this note. I tried the TESPA tip again.  What I see is the drive frequency is much higher than TESP (350 mV vs 280 mV). Also, the SUM of the photodiode value is about twice (4) vs TESP.

Could any of these two reasons be the cause of tip unable to engage and keep crashing ??  The 3rd TESPA tip crashed.   There is nothing wrong with the tool, since I can scan with TESP...

replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 11:56 AM

Jay,

Please contact Bruker Tech support directly for help.

Thanks,

Stefan

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 140

Stefan, FYI,

Another co-worker happened to try out the same metal coated tip today. Here is his answer.  It seems it is something you could have answer too... In any case, thanks for all your advices.

Jay,

... and he just happened to use a metal coated tip in his AFM this morning, for the first time.

He said that the laser sum was over 4. He said that the resonant frequency was higher than uncoated, so that he had to

increase the search range in the auto tune, so that it could find the peak. The drive frequency was about 300 mV,

to get 1.8 Vrms on the detector. After that it worked just like the others.

So as long as you find the resonant peak, it should work.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments