The Nanoscale World

How can I filter force curves?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
MLC posted on Tue, Aug 2 2011 7:09 PM

Hello,

I would like to automate the process of accepting or rejecting force curves.  The Nanoscope (v. 7.30) File menu has the option "Filter Force Curves," which looks quite promising.  However, when I select that option and navigate to the folder that contains the curves in question, nothing happens.  The folder shows up as selected, but the boxes where curves should be marked for acceptance or removal remain empty.  How can I get this function to work?  The Help function also does not work for me, so I apologize if this is a question that would be answered there! 

Many thanks!

- MLC

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Suggested by Ben Ohler

Hi, there's a couple useful tools within NanoScope software to do this. They are described in more detail in the "NanoScope Software Tools for Force Spectroscopy" application note found here.

Briefly though, "Filter Curves" works by defining a minimum force that must occur at some minimum distance from the contact point. This minimum distance parameter is intended to help exclude any large non-specific binding near the pull-off. Also be sure to select the correct plot number (1-3) that corresponds to the Force-distance curve in your force curve files.

The little bit confusing part is that you need to click "Delete Curves" once you've set the parameters and selected a directory. This starts the sorting process, during which you will see the "good" and "bad" curves pop up on the right and left. The "bad" curves are not actually deleted until the very end when a dialog box will ask you to confirm. You can always cancel it if you saw that the sorting parameters didn't work how you liked. It's always a good idea to backup the original data anyway though.

The other tool is "Review Curves", which is less automated but good for a second round of screening the curves. Again, more detail can be found in the app note linked above.

Regards,

-Ben

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
MLC replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:12 PM

Thank you so much!  That is very helpful!

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
MLC replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:13 PM

Thank you so much!  That is very helpful!

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments