laser beam path in Bioscope II and Bioscope Catalyst heads

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46
Arturas posted on Mon, Oct 3 2011 5:36 PM

Hi,

I need information on  the optical scheme of Bioscope II and Bioscope Catalyst head (location of the laser, the mirror, and the  photodiode relatively a cantilever ).    Recently  in the laboratory Bioscope II has been changed changed to Catalyst have been and as I see the optical path of beam is completely different in the later (the mirror and the photodector are above the probe holder ). Thank you.

Best regards, Arturas

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:01 AM

Hi Arturas,

This is true that the optical path is totally different:

- On the Bioscope II, the laser beam was coming from one side, hitting the cantilever with a 45 deg. angle and was reflected symetrically. As a consequence, the force curves were tilted (especially the base line).

- On the Catalyst, the laser beam still comes from one side but first hits a mirror which re-orient it so that it vertically hits the lever. Then the beam eventually hits the photodetector. As a main consequence, teh base line in the force curves is never more tilted.

If you want I have a drawing showing this vertical laser path but I have nothing of the Bioscope II laser path. If you are interested, please forward me your email address.

Best,

Alex.

• | Post Points: 14
replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 12:54 PM

To add a bit to Alex statement:

A feedback laser bouncing off a cantilever from one side does not need have detrimental impact on force curves as it is evident e.g. on the Innova. The main issue was that the z-piezo on the Bioscope was actuated and thus required the laser spot to track with it. This tracking was eliminated on the Catalyst by redirecting the laser with an additional mirror and consequently results in flat base lines for force curves.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 10

Alex,

I am currently working with a Catalyst system and have an inquiry regarding the laser path. Do you still have the drawings available showing the path and distances of the laser beam?

If so, my e-mail address is czehrung@purdue.edu

Any insight that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Craig

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments