Scratching Lithography using Innova

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136
saumil posted on Mon, Dec 5 2011 5:26 PM

Hello,

I am working on lithography using the Innova system by scratching a PMMA resist layer. The problem I face is that there is always a tilt in the original scan. The tilt in the plane is 32nm in the x-x' axis and ~200nm in the y-y' direction of the scan. Next, when I do the scratching using NanoPlot, I apply a constant z-depth value and I get a variation in the depth (and width) in the created trench. The trench is more or less uniform along the x-x' because the tilt is less. But it is more along the y-y' because the variation is more. I think this is the problem. So,   

I am currently doing plowing, using tapping mode, as I do not have a contact mode tip at the moment. I would like some opinion on the below 3:

1. Is there a way to correct this tilt in the original scan?

2. When I do e-beam lithography, I can specify the focal plane and the beam does not leave the focal plane. Can some similar thing be done here?

3. Or if I can provide a gradient in the applied Z-depth to NanoPlot, that would solve my problem too, I think.

4. Or is the problem something else, altogether?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:55 AM
Verified by saumil

Hi,

Yes there is a way.

When you peform a lithography experiment selecting the "by depth" option, the system will turn the z-feedback off and raise the sample by the depth you specified. If you have tilt on your sample this can of course lead to errors in depth. In order to compensate for that you might want to got to tools->leveling and turn the leveling option on. The system will now perform a survey scan before the experiment, determine the tilt, and correct for it. When you perform lithography using a change in "setpoint" or "tip/sample voltage" this is not necessary as the AFM is in z-feedback at all times and thus self corrects for the tilt.

Good luck,

Stefan

All Replies

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:55 AM
Verified by saumil

Hi,

Yes there is a way.

When you peform a lithography experiment selecting the "by depth" option, the system will turn the z-feedback off and raise the sample by the depth you specified. If you have tilt on your sample this can of course lead to errors in depth. In order to compensate for that you might want to got to tools->leveling and turn the leveling option on. The system will now perform a survey scan before the experiment, determine the tilt, and correct for it. When you perform lithography using a change in "setpoint" or "tip/sample voltage" this is not necessary as the AFM is in z-feedback at all times and thus self corrects for the tilt.

Good luck,

Stefan

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136

Thanks a lot Stefan.

Another problem I face after using NanoPlot is that I do not get any height scan at all. Here is what I do: Take a scan before lithography. Open the scan in nanoplot and etch. Then go back to take another scan. When I do this step, the software doesn't give me a scan at all. I just get no topography, it is all blank. I have to close the software and open it again, and then my tip loses contact. As a result, I lose my location and have to do another scan from the beginning on a new area. At the end my probe tip goes bad before getting any result. I assume that the problem has to do with the software. Can you suggest a way to solve this? Thanks.

replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 11:24 AM

Hi Saumil,

I am not sure what is going on. Please make sure that you are using the latest released software version, which is 8.02. If you are indeed using the latest version I recommend getting in touch with customer support to troubleshoot your problem. Our Service Group here in Santa Barbara can be contacted at (1-800-873-9750 or via email at AFMSupport@bruker-nano.com).

Best, Stefan

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 136
saumil replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:35 AM

Thanks Stefan. Yes, the software is v8.02

I think I might have figured out the cause of the problem. The software goes unresponsive if I do not group my objects in nanoplot. When I do the grouping, it works fine. Other than that I face problems when I use the z-depth feature and I can see the tip moving up and down in height, but making click-click sounds, and then an afterscan does not appear. Maybe I am using some extreme values, or not using the right settings. I will contact the support if I face problems with this again. As you can see, I am new to this system and to nanoplot.

replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 11:45 AM

Sounds good. Please keep us posted and share some data if you can.

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments